Logo

1985 mariner 50 4cylinder not starting

Tater35

Ok so a good friend of mine bought a boat with a 85 mariner 50. It ran for a little bit than died. He figure out that the cdi box was out. He replaced it and she ran again but the tattletale wasn't producing water. He figured out that mud dobbers at plug the tattletale. He cleared it and fired it up to check that the water was now moving. Is ran for a while than suddenly died and won't restart. He said it sputtered th first few times he tried to started it but now nothing. I am trying to figure out why. This is what i have done so far. Checked to see that fuel was getting to the carb and it is but i found that the engine isn't trying to suck fuel in. I checked compression and got 70 psi plus or minus 2psi in all cylinders. I checked and found that the engine is pushing out quite abit of exhaust gas. I thought maybe the crankcase was leaking somewhere so I sprayed around the bottom of the engine and anywhere else i thought it might be leaking with starter fluid and it never hit. Im at a complete lose please help

70 PSI is not encouraging.----Test with another gauge.------Did you replace the water pump impeller ?----That is a recommended step for a new AQUASITION !----I doubt that the crankcase can leak so much to suddenly prevent starting.

It has spark at all four cylinders. I used an inline tester but don't know how "hot" the spark is. I cleaned all the spark plugs while they were out.
Water pump impeller has not been replaced to my knowledge.

Last edited:
Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" ( 1cm ) on a testing device , yes or no ?-----Motor has to spin fast to produce spark.-----So load test the battery.----Take starter apart for cleaning / ohm test / new brushes perhaps.----Easy to do in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back