Logo

my outboard honda 20hp year 2006 had a starting problem

dali

why my outboard start only when i close the air filter with my hand ? it happen only when the engine is cold, if it start the first time, it will start since normal
this is the air filter " in the photo "

Attachments

• MTMyNTQwMQ-d171cee0.jpg
    MTMyNTQwMQ-d171cee0.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 35
Not an air filter. That screen is called a flame arrestor. Outboards don't usually have air filters.

Is your motor an electric start? If so, you have the "AUTO" carburetor. That means it doesn't have a conventional choke for cold start.

Instead, it has the SE or start enrichment system. See item 15 in the parts page link below

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...l-range/20hp/bf20d6-shga-2006/carburetor-auto

When you place your hand over the air inlet to start the engine you are "choking" it. This means you are enriching the fuel mixture by blocking the air. This tells me that your enrichment valve (item 15) is stuck in the "no enrichment" position. This could be due to some gunk and gas varnish hanging it up in the extended position or the spring inside that defaults it to cold start is broken.

If you remove it from the carburetor and clean it up, you can apply 12 volts to the wires...positive to the male terminal and negative to the female terminal....and see if it will extend and then retract when power is removed.

If it extends with power and retracts when power is removed then you can re-install it and it will probably work again.

If it doesn't extend and retract as I've described then it will need to be replaced for proper cold start operation.

Hope this helps and good luck.

hello, thank you for your reply i really appreciate it,
but i wanna to say that my motor is not an electric start, it's a hand start, i have to pull the rope in the recoil starter to star my outboard
also i want to notice that if the motor start, it shake for 30 seconds and after that it be normal and start in good condition, after that if i turn it off and try to start it again, it will start since the first pull

Hmmm. Interesting that you never mentioned using the choke. That's why I thought it was electric start.

When you're trying to start it, do you use the choke?

The shaking you talk about sounds like you could have a fouled spark plug. When was the last time you changed the plugs?

Use only NGK CR5EH-9 spark plugs. Avoid the Denso plugs or other brands.

yes, it start only if i pull the choke and close the flame arrestor with my hand and pull the rope
my sparks are new, i changed them last month and i use a denso u16fer9 as spark

Well, your choke may not be closing all the way. You may need to adjust the cable if that's the case.

I've not had good experience with the Denso spark plugs so I will mention using NGK one last time.

Good luck.

Is the choke closing when you pull the cable? You may have to remove the muffler again so you can see what it's doing.

Because, when you put your hand over the intake and it starts, your hand is the choke. So it's either fix the choke to work properly or keep using your hand.

Back