Logo

1991 Starfire 220 backfire issue

Hello all,
New to the site and I've exhausted my options in handling my problem. Any advice help and with that being said I thank you in advance.

Problem: Started with boat running perfectly fine when I bought it, (I've owned it for 3 months, been in the water 10 times +/- ) and the last time out in the water is when the issue started. Motor wouldn't turn over. Before taking it out into the water in the passed, I would fire the boat up at home to make sure it's running correctly. Well being that I was out in the water the day before I figure what the heck, no need to fire it up to check it, I was just out the day before. So after launching the boat I tried to fire it up and it just wouldn't turn over. It smelled like I flooded the motor so I let it rest for a bit, tried it again and no go. I removed the top air filter off the holley carb and noticed that my electric choke seem to not be working. So I pulled the boat out, called a mobile mechanic when I got home and he said that I need to had the carb rebuilt. So 350 dollars later, a fresh rebuilt carb, new spark plugs, new fuel filter and new spark plug cables, I'm having a miss fire now. I took the mechanic out into the water so that he can hear/feel what's going on. He said that there must be a cracked plug. He removed them all and the plugs were all in good shape. He said he would be back the following day because it was getting late and I haven't heard from him since. He ignores my calls. So I've given up hope with him and now I'm here looking for and pointers. I have very little motor knowledge but just enough to get by. Again thanks in advance. -Steve (first time boat owner)

Motor is a OMC Cobra 5.8 Litre

Last edited:
Back