Logo

1978 johnson 75 Stinger...ignition problems

Biggizmo

After rebuilt carbs
New fuel lines
Filters
And several runs...
Still no results to the problem at hand.
This is what I found.
No spark to 2nd cylinder.
New plugs and coils all good.
I switched coils with same results
Center not firing.
Borrowed new coil from son...
Centerr not firing.
Could this be the sensor from the stator to the power box not functioning for the second cylinder?

No spark to 2nd cylinder.

Could this be the sensor from the stator to the power box not functioning for the second cylinder?

Not the stator!..... The 2nd coil "Timing Sensor" from the timer base that leads to the powerpack!

There are three timing sensors attached to the timer base... check them all. They should all give the identical ohm readings. Either the one that governs the 2nd cylinder has failed... OR... the the powerpack has failed.

Not the stator!..... The 2nd coil "Timing Sensor" from the timer base that leads to the powerpack!

There are three timing sensors attached to the timer base... check them all. They should all give the identical ohm readings. Either the one that governs the 2nd cylinder has failed... OR... the the powerpack has failed.

So...I was told that if power pack failed none of them would fire.
So...you are saying that the engine will still run with the failure of power pack at one or two
Sections fried?
I changed the stator and pickup sensor unit.
Still same results on second cylinder.
Price for new power pack....a divorce is cheaper in this state.

Within the powerpack, there is three electronic switches (I forget their abbreviation...SCR, SCL, something like that). They've been know to fail from time to time, and when they do, the pack can malfunction in various ways. It doesn't always fail completely.

Did you run a ohm check on the three timing sensors on the timer base?

Bought new stator and timing sensor base.
All three coils are new.
New plugs.
Still no spark on cylinder #2.
Ohm readings were same on Both timing based.
All consistent readings.
Stator was reading approx 680 on the old stator and closer to 500 on the new stator.
All coils read 2.6...
Have checked power pack all three banks.
1 and 3 show full continuity and like ohm readings.
Bank #2 has 0 continuity...and a negative reading from power post to sensor post
But zero reading from power post to #2 coil power post.
On cranking test with stat light, I get light on 1 and 3 but not #2.

What is a fair offer for a used power pack?
I was thinking $25 or $30...ebay has used for $40 plus shipping.
I don't normally buy used electronics but I have poured enough
cash into this engine to have bought a newer working engine.
Just wanted to keep this old Jetster Original powered with the engine it came with.

Last edited:
A power pak can fail and drop only one cylinder. Which pack do you have the metal one with the screw on cover or the black plastic one.

Back