Logo

How often do most here change out Water pump?

occh

Contributing Member
So I was told by my Honda Mechanic to change out the water pump every other season , just wanted to see if other Honda owners are going by this too.
I trust the people on this site alittle more I guess:D

thanks

Depends a lot on what you do with the boat.-----Boating in ice cold / big lake water in the spring ?-----Warm water on a small lake ?------Your mechanic is giving good advice.------Most folks do not realize how important the impeller is !!!

I change mine out every 300 hours +/-. For me, that is about every two years. But I have also installed external heat sensors on each manifold wired to analog gauges on my console, so I monitor heat constantly.

Depends a lot on what you do with the boat.-----Boating in ice cold / big lake water in the spring ?-----Warm water on a small lake ?------Your mechanic is giving good advice.------Most folks do not realize how important the impeller is !!!

I boat in saltwater in Long Island NY . I just wanted to make sure he wasn’t trying to drum up business

I change mine out every 300 hours +/-. For me, that is about every two years. But I have also installed external heat sensors on each manifold wired to analog gauges on my console, so I monitor heat constantly.
. Sounds like a great addition those heat sensors. I don’t have an hour meter on my boat and I had my water pump changed at the end of last season. Every other season must be a general type rule because it probably depends on how much you use your boat I would imagine

Are there parts in there when the water pump comes out that are important to grease? I was told that by a different mechanic

Yes, apply grease to the inside of the water tube seal. Also the splines of the drive shaft.

When you have the lower unit out, Inspect the mid-shaft bushing for wobble or deterioration. If you remove that bushing, grease it also.

If you are boating in salt water it is a bonus to take those lower unit bolts out on a regular basis.------If left too long they may not come out.-----That results in big repair bills.-----A sealer can be used to keep water out of the threads.-----And maintaing the water pump is simple do it yourself work.-----Look at some you tube videos to see what is involved.

I change my impeller every other year to two years depending on its use, I will change the actual water pump (housing + impeller+seals) about every 5. I am fresh water use, but it is on my hunting boat and do run around sand quite a bit.

I've seen pumps go longer than 5 years but, in my opinion, if you try stretching it out longer than every two years you're pretty much betting against yourself.

Consider the well established statistic that approximately 70% of all catastrophic engine damage begins with a faulty cooling system.

Last edited:
I've seen pumps go longer than 5 years but, in my opinion, if you try stretching it out longer than every two years you're pretty much betting against yourself.

Consider the well established statistic that approximately 70% of all catastrophic engine damage begins with a faulty cooling system.

Thats good enough for me...every two years it is. !

Back