Logo

76 135 johnson , I think over heated , then starts

codliver

So I was cruising at 3/4 throttle , and it died , Dead , and would not crank , Like the Battery was dead , Just a little unck , Like it was making the effort ,I took the cover off , Water jacket and top of flywheel , almost too hot to touch , Maybe even was too hot to touch , If I hold my hand firmly on it I started back on the kicker , After a few minutes , I turned the flywheel with my hands, SO I tried to start it , and it started ,Then did the same thing slowed like it bogged down a bit and Died . so I took it back in on the kicker , But right before , I tried again , and it started , So I came in less than half speed and it made it , I felt the Water jacked , and it was much cooler than the first time . I replaced the water pump and much more water comes out the exhaust holes ,Than the old impeller s water flow ,While on ear muffs ,also the old impeller was bent pretty bad . However , When i left the dock , The exhaust holes appeared to be sputtering a good amount of water. My buddy said , Sometimes , If something blocks the water flow, It could overheat , and bind up , but not ruin the engine , What do you guys think , Its running on muffs , I have not taken it back out since , Other thing is , I poured about 1 and a half cups of sea foam in the gas ,

Sounds like it may have spun the impeller hub. The metal hub comes loose from the rubber impeller. A common problem with those motors even when new. Usual result is catastrophic damage to the powerhead. Believe me, you do have damage if the paint is burnt and discolored and wires melted where they touch the powerhead. You are worsening the damage by repeated starting and overheating.

You cannot test a water pump by running on muffs. The pump is not pumping when you are doing that, only allowing hose water to pass through.

Sea Foam will not hurt nor help the situation.

Sounds like it may have spun the impeller hub. The metal hub comes loose from the rubber impeller. A common problem with those motors even when new. Usual result is catastrophic damage to the powerhead. Believe me, you do have damage if the paint is burnt and discolored and wires melted where they touch the powerhead. You are worsening the damage by repeated starting and overheating.

You cannot test a water pump by running on muffs. The pump is not pumping when you are doing that, only allowing hose water to pass through.

Sea Foam will not hurt nor help the situation.

No discoloration.burntv wires or burnt paint . Seafoam was added to help keep carbs clean . I just wondered if it may have lowered the lubricant of two stroke oil.which.maybe caused it to overheat

That engine has a 2 wire warning horn that should have sounded off steadily before the engine got hot enough to seize the engine up. Test it as follows:

Have the ignition switch in the ON position (engine NOT running), then ground out the TAN wire you see protruding from the cylinder head. <-- This completes the warning horn circuit and the hor should sound steady and constantly. If it does not... find out why as it's the only warning you'll receive if the cooling system is interrupted. If you have the usual white OMC control box, the horn would be inside of it.

Without the warning horn system being in effect, the only way you'll know if the water intake has been clogged with a plastic bag (or whatever)... would be an expensive repeat of your problem.

NOTE: Having a engine become hot enough to seize it... the majority of the powerhead bolts, nuts, screws are now loose, especially the cylinder head bolts. Torque the head bolts down to 18 to 20 foot pounds in the following sequence where each number represents a head bolt:

Be sure to check and tighten all of the other bolts screws, nuts as needed.

You state that even though the engine seized from the extreme heat that not of the wiring was melted... that is quite unusual! Worth double-checking.

Without discolored paint, I sort of doubt it got hot enough to sieze. The alternative guesses are dire though.

Yeah, usually a hot enough to seize condition results in a discoloration of the powerhead's paint job but "codliver's" initial post (#1) spells out just that.

Could be he repainted with super heat resistant paint from Pep Boy's? :)

starboard bottom cylinder has broke rings . 25 pound s compression .I have an old sppare parts motor , I dont recall anything he said was wrong with it , He just said it was laying around , If I pull string compression test , with all the Spark plugs out , it gets 100 , 110 125 , I think this is more related to me hand pulling , is that pretty normal compression for hand pull ,

Last edited:
Back