Logo

MC-1 single solenoid trim motor... how to troubleshoot?

centerline

Regular Contributor
this model has the 3 button switch on the dash.
I have never had a problem troubleshooting a 2 solenoid system with the single trim tilt switch, but I have no idea how the single solenoid system using the 3 button switch is engineered.
I do know one button is supposed to trim the drive up to the limit switch while boating, and the other button is supposed to overide the limit switch so the motor can be tilted for trailering....

the motor works fine in both directions, but when its fully down (or anywhere in between full down and full up) it HAS to be in forward gear AND I have to press both button the trim and tilt button to get it to move upward....

the down button works at any time no matter what position the shift lever is in...

when the shift lever is in neutral and I press the up button, or both the trim and tilt buttons, nothing happens.

when its in forward gear, the trim button nor the tilt button will work by itself, but they both have to be pressed to get the pump to function....

how does the single solenoid system work, and what could be the problem why the trim button doesnt work by itself, and WHY only in forward gear?

I thought the limit switch was mounted on the drive exterior of the hull, but as I have recently replaced the gimbal bearing and bellows, I know this unit does not have a switch outside of the hull.... maybe its not fitted with a trim limit switch?

there are wires going from the pump/motor assembly to the shift linkage assembly inside the hull at the transom plate, but I dont know what purpose this switch has...

thanks for any help you can give...

you have an old MC1 type, the limit switch is at the very top of the steering ring/yoke, the gimbal housing activates it . Those may be the reverse lockout switch.
The limit switch may be bypassed already allowing the trailer function to only work to raise the drive

Back