Logo

Mercury 2004 115hp 4stroke EFI-injector question

Flavigne

Hi,
recently brought my engine to a repair shop mercury certified and wanting to adjust my control cable as there was some loose in it making it hard to give power. The mechanic noticed that it was jutttery and missing slightly at low rpm but works no problem at bigh speed. He says it’s probably an injector that is starting to go. He says eventually will need to change all 4 but at 386$ a piece I thought it would be ok to wait and see other options:

1- how good are the cleaners you put in the gaz
2- I see some companies clean up the injectors for around 40$ a piece .

what you guys think? Need advice

thanks

If it is an injector, I read on some thread in this forum that there are shops that will rebuild/fix injectors for a reasonable price.

If it is an injector, I read on some thread in this forum that there are shops that will rebuild/fix injectors for a reasonable price.

i just spoked with one of these cleaning company and supposively 30$/injector and they clean them and come back almost new.

Hi,
not sure the mechanic seemed to think it was more an injector. I don’t know much about mecanic. Cleaning the injectors can’t hurt I guess !

Hi,
recently brought my engine to a repair shop mercury certified and wanting to adjust my control cable as there was some loose in it making it hard to give power. The mechanic noticed that it was jutttery and missing slightly at low rpm but works no problem at bigh speed. He says it’s probably an injector that is starting to go. He says eventually will need to change all 4 but at 386$ a piece I thought it would be ok to wait and see other options:

1- how good are the cleaners you put in the gaz
2- I see some companies clean up the injectors for around 40$ a piece .

what you guys think? Need advice

thanks

Problem is injectors do not "Start to go" Coils do.

No Mercury shop would condemn all the injectors with out trying to clean them first.

The will condemn the ignition coils especially if the have white potting under the cap. I think you need to confirm what the mechanic what he was describing.

The injectors on the 115 EFI 4 stroke is equipt with a function that cleans the nozzle by operating it one time to prevent the needle injector from sticking when the main switch is turned to ON position .

Last edited:
I have a L4NA I am working on today. Plugged a noid light into the injector harness and powered up the engine, The light did not come on.

So in short, there is no function in the key on that cycles the injectors to clean the nozzle.

Think about it, Pressure in the fuel system and every time you key it up it sprays fuel on the intake valve.

I would like to know where you heard this or read this.

"The injectors on the 115 EFI 4 stroke is equipt with a function that cleans the nozzle by operating it one time to prevent the needle injector from sticking when the main switch is turned to ON position "

Chris, I love it 'Let the insanity begin'; akin to my 2 favorite views on life:
'And now it starts', and
'In the human condition, stupidity usually has its way'.

No reflection on the threads of this forum; good guys here.

I understand wot you saying about your noid test the negative pulse triggers off the injector for it to open . However if you go to Boatinfo. library on top of page 3A-3 find mercury service manual 115hp models covered from 2001 starting serial no: OT 178500 Read it there for yourself like i put it .this is where i got the info from :)

I understand wot you saying about your noid test the negative pulse triggers off the injector for it to open . However if you go to Boatinfo. library on top of page 3A-3 find mercury service manual 115hp models covered from 2001 starting serial no: OT 178500 Read it there for yourself like i put it .this is where i got the info from :)

You are right. His engine is actually built by Yamaha and is not the L4NA series Mercury Built outboard. Some how I missed the "2004" model year.

I found some refurbished injector which ultimately are propably cleaned up used one and rebuilt. Would it be a good thing to try before I put 1600$ mercury original one ? They cost 120$

I found some refurbished injector which ultimately are propably cleaned up used one and rebuilt. Would it be a good thing to try before I put 1600$ mercury original one ? They cost 120$

You cannot "rebuild" these injectors, all you can do is clean them, change the filters, o-rings and test them.

You are right. His engine is actually built by Yamaha and is not the L4NA series Mercury Built outboard. Some how I missed the "2004" model year.

So I am back, the engine worked well and with the mechanic I decided to try cleaning the engine by putting the quickleen mercury product. I have then ran the engine form20-3im in the water and now I have a power problem when going full gas. I can reach a 30mph and then will loose speed , or just not have good power. It’s intermittent . Brought it back to my mercury dealer and he doesn’t seem to know what it is. He will probably suspect the injector again...any ideas out there what it could be?

Last question, I saw 4 injector for sale 100$ on amazon that are for a Yamaha 115hp year 2000 and more. Knowing that my mercury 2004 is a Yamaha block engine , would that fit ? Dealer says the original new injectors are 386$/each....that is crazy.

please advise!!

After you have fiddled with the cable it could be possible that a slight maladjustment in the linkages that control the TPS has occurred if this has happened it will affect performance at 750 rpm idle TPS voltage should be 0.718 +/- 0.746 check it .

Back