Logo

1981, ski nautique pleasure craft 302 (Stalling, upgrades and spares)

Adrianwashere

Hello All,

After a long time debating and waiting Ive finally pulled the trigger and bought myself a classic 1981 Correct Craft, Ski Nautique.
Im told by most people and forums its got a PCM 302cu engine (See photos)
Im in the South of England and having issues finding spares and esp a good cover for her.

Ive only owned the boat now 2 weeks its so much fun BUT its not perfect...
After a big throttle push she stalled out and then had a funky rumble like it was starved of fuel, and felt like it wanted to stall again, we limped back.

After going back to the boat the next day she revved up and idled nicely and sounded ok, but not onload. Im now worried and concerned as to whats wrong.

anyone had issues similar? which direction should i be looking at?
anyone have advise to any worth while upgrades to this engine?
anyone have a solid supplier for this engine and boat in europe or even a solid company that ships to the UK?
anyone know what off the shelf cover would serve me well?
anyone know how i can properly ID this engine to get it all right?

i appreciate that's this is a lot of questions but any advise on any of these subjects would be greatly appreciated

AdrianC

Attachments

• IMG_6998.jpg
    IMG_6998.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6991.jpg
    IMG_6991.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7102.jpg
    IMG_7102.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7101.jpg
    IMG_7101.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 69
the D indicates a 351, not a 302...the factory service manual is on the web if you look enough.

As far as specific for that boat, the planetnatique forum is your best bet - its dedicated for that make.

On the engine, without knowing the history, hard to say.....make sure the fuel is fresh and all of your filters are clean....a thorough/complete tuneup would also be good....including a compression test to assess the state of the engine (a leakdown test would be ideal)...

The engine appears to be equipped with an old Prestolite mechanical advance ignition system.

Make sure that the mechanical advance is offering the correct ignition advance curve, and that it's "Full In" at and no sooner than the OEM suggested RPM.

Back