Logo

Evinrude 40hp 2 stroke - non-runner project

Hi Guys some of you may have helped me in other threads but here we go. Bought this 1994 for very little money with a view to either possibly using the electric starter/ring gear on a different engine or maybe seeing if we could get it starting. The starter turns it fine and there is a spark at both plugs

At the moment the engine is lying down and I am making a stand to put it on. Then the real fun will begin. I see it as a winter project hopefully to get it going on my boat (Shetland 535)for next year. I dont even know if this engine is too heavy for my Shetland but if an engine this size fits on a 4m rib then ???

Pictures are all on one side for the minute cos it is lying on its side so bear with me.

I have a friend who is a motor mechanic and he will be helping me, but my own experience is limited to changing impeller and gear oil on my 25hp.

Got some pics to upload but can I really only do them one at a time??

Ok try this Google Drive link https://drive.google.com/open?id=15rWkmX5KarV8YP0VhbzZgSaet98VkALt

on pic...808 these two uninsulated wires go to the lifting ram. Does it matter if they are touching along the way or are they just going to sensors or what?

on pic ...131 what is this circular cover covering?

on pic ...155 is A or B the water intake?

on vid ...409 I presume this shouldn't be like this

on pic ...625 what is this thing???

Any information will be appreciated.

Compression test due after we get it on its stand

Circular thingy is a trim tab for steering adjustment.---" B " is water intake.----There obviously are parts missing on the throttle linkages in 409

Last edited:
Back