Logo

1965 Evinrude 3hp confusion about the high speed needle

Swendsoa

hello everyone,

I recently picked up a 1965 3hp evinrude. It runs but roughly so I went to rebuild the carb and it has the strangest high speed idle screw setup I have ever seen. I'm soaking the carb now. I have rebuilt many of this style of carb but never one that has this setup.

My question is, how do you set this type of high speed idle screw?

Please help if you can.

thank you,

Alex

What do you mean by ---" high speed idle screw "---- this is a new term to me.-------The parts book shows an ---" orifice plug"---It is a calibrated item that is NOT adjustable.-----Any pictures of what is on your carburetor ?

Perhaps you have an adjustable high speed needle kit? They were sold as an accessory kit for people that just had to have something to twirl.

The 1965 3hp Evinrude/Johnson comes equipped with a brass high speed "Jet"... just clean and reinstall it.

If you have the optional adjustable needle valve kit, just adjust it as you would the older style adjustable needle valves.

ok, I feel like we are getting stuck on the word I used, "high speed idle screw," call it whatever you like "orifice tube and plug." My point is that it doesn't work like any of the other ways of controlling the flow of gas during high speed operations, like the other three 3hp Evinrude motors I have from that era. I am used to the carbs that have the high and low speed idle screws.

Could anyone explain how it the process of how it goes back together?

Do you just bottom out the orifice tube and then snug down the plug?

is there no adjustment for high speed gas flow?

Quote edited to keep it simple.

1 - I feel like we are getting stuck on the word I used. Call it whatever you like.

2 - My point is it doesn't work like any of the other ways of controlling the flow of gas during high speed operations, like the other three 3hp Evinrude motors I have from that era.

3 - I am used to the carbs that have the high and low speed idle screws.

4 - How does it goes back together? Do you just bottom out the orifice tube and then snug down the plug?

5 - Isn't there an adjustment for high speed?

1 - No, we prefer to call it by its proper name to avoid confusion "High Speed Jet" although it is an orifice.

2 - The high speed jet came into being in 1961 and was incorporated into the 3hp models in 1963. This arrangement/system has been around a very long time.

3 - Understood, having been there when those engines were new, it's easy to get stuck with the old ways.

4 - Yep, that's how it's done. Make or purchase a tool as shown below. A regular screwdriver will usually damage the jet.

5 - Nope... The inside diameter of the jet measures precisely what the engine requires.
317002_CARB-JET_REM-INST.JPG
Ignore the price mention... Long Gone!

Back