Logo

Mercury 40 hp power source to charge batteries????

labradorboater

Hi I’m new here and have some questions if anyone can help me . I currently have a 1999 60 hp 2 stroke mariner outboard on my boat that has power trim and electric start. I got a opportunity to get a 2006 40 hp 4 stroke mercury outboard for dirt cheap. This motor does not have electric start or power trim . I’m wondering what will gas economy be like compared to my 2 stroke engine ? Also my main question would be that I have a battery on my boat to run my electronics . How can I maintain my batteries with the 40 hp mercury outboard? The only wires coming out of the motor is the shut down wires for the switch. I seen some wires under the hood that are capped off. Anyone know what wires I can use ? Thanks for the help

Get a wiring diagram and see where the wires from the stator (to charge the battery) go. Someone must have cut them off since all modern motors of that size have a charging circuit.

Jeff

Get a wiring diagram and see where the wires from the stator (to charge the battery) go. Someone must have cut them off since all modern motors of that size have a charging circuit.

Jeff

Would anyone happen to know know where I could find a tech manual for a 2006 mercury 40 hp 4 stroke ? Need to know what wires are for charging circuit and possible the rpm gauge hook up? Thanks

On my '92 Merc 40, the 2 wires from the stator that charge the battery are yellow and go to a voltage regulator; no guarantee that yours are the same color.

fazbullet, good catch; if you are responding to me; in my shop manual by Brunswick Corp for my '92 Merc 40hp (bought the manual at the same time, lucky I did), the electrical schematic drawings show a rectifier but no voltage regulator; however, in the written documentation, there are tests for a rectifier and a voltage regulator - go figure; shortly after I bought the motor in '92, I had some sort of electrical problem (maybe dead battery) and the dealer replaced the rectifier with a voltage regulator - two yellow stator wires going into it; no issues since. However, there is a mystery component behind some gray foam padding I haven't looked into yet - see pic; the new voltage regulator is just below that.
OK, my bad, you are replying to the original poster.

Attachments

• IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
The 2 yellow wires coming out of my stator go to a voltage regulator as I have indicated above; from there, out of the voltage regulator come wires involved with charging the battery; maybe you could check your yellow wires to see if there is any voltage coming out of them. I thought I saw somewhere that a 9amp stator is put into outboards that don't have electric start and consequently no battery. My stator is a 16amp stator.

Back