Logo
Get instant online access to repair manuals for your Mercury / Mariner outboard. Online Manuals
MercuryMariner
Order printed Mercury / Mariner service manuals — shipped to your door! Printed Manuals
MercuryMariner
Use engine diagrams to find & order parts for your Mercury / Mariner engine. Engine Diagrams
MercuryMariner
Find parts quickly with Mercury application guides. Quick Parts Guide
MercurySierraCDI

Default Mercury 40 hp power source to charge batteries????

Hi Iím new here and have some questions if anyone can help me . I currently have a 1999 60 hp 2 stroke mariner outboard on my boat that has power trim and electric start. I got a opportunity to get a 2006 40 hp 4 stroke mercury outboard for dirt cheap. This motor does not have electric start or power trim . Iím wondering what will gas economy be like compared to my 2 stroke engine ? Also my main question would be that I have a battery on my boat to run my electronics . How can I maintain my batteries with the 40 hp mercury outboard? The only wires coming out of the motor is the shut down wires for the switch. I seen some wires under the hood that are capped off. Anyone know what wires I can use ? Thanks for the help

Default Re: Mercury 40 hp power source to charge batteries????

Get a wiring diagram and see where the wires from the stator (to charge the battery) go. Someone must have cut them off since all modern motors of that size have a charging circuit.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by fastjeff View Post
    Get a wiring diagram and see where the wires from the stator (to charge the battery) go. Someone must have cut them off since all modern motors of that size have a charging circuit.

Jeff

Would anyone happen to know know where I could find a tech manual for a 2006 mercury 40 hp 4 stroke ? Need to know what wires are for charging circuit and possible the rpm gauge hook up? Thanks

post serial #
    Pappys Sales and Service
    Owner and Factory Certified Technician
    Former racer KDBA (Kentucky Drag Boat Association)

Quote Originally Posted by faztbullet View Post
    post serial #

Serial number is 1C033156

model is 40ML 4STK

On my '92 Merc 40, the 2 wires from the stator that charge the battery are yellow and go to a voltage regulator; no guarantee that yours are the same color.

Your parts breakdown shows no rectifier.....
    Pappys Sales and Service
    Owner and Factory Certified Technician
    Former racer KDBA (Kentucky Drag Boat Association)

fazbullet, good catch; if you are responding to me; in my shop manual by Brunswick Corp for my '92 Merc 40hp (bought the manual at the same time, lucky I did), the electrical schematic drawings show a rectifier but no voltage regulator; however, in the written documentation, there are tests for a rectifier and a voltage regulator - go figure; shortly after I bought the motor in '92, I had some sort of electrical problem (maybe dead battery) and the dealer replaced the rectifier with a voltage regulator - two yellow stator wires going into it; no issues since. However, there is a mystery component behind some gray foam padding I haven't looked into yet - see pic; the new voltage regulator is just below that.
    OK, my bad, you are replying to the original poster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0492.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	21573  
    Last edited by RickM46; 08-24-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by faztbullet View Post
    Your parts breakdown shows no rectifier.....
    yes I don’t believe it has a rectifier . There are 2 yellow wires that come from the stator that are yellow and are capped off. Will
    i need a rectifier to charge my batteries? Also would you know what wire is for the tach? Thanks

The 2 yellow wires coming out of my stator go to a voltage regulator as I have indicated above; from there, out of the voltage regulator come wires involved with charging the battery; maybe you could check your yellow wires to see if there is any voltage coming out of them. I thought I saw somewhere that a 9amp stator is put into outboards that don't have electric start and consequently no battery. My stator is a 16amp stator.