Logo

1999 Evinrude 8HP Tiller Remote Throttle Control

StarcraftSFM170

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum but don't see leaving anytime soon as I am setting up a new to me Starcraft SFM 170 for fishing Lake Superior. I have a 1999 evinrude 8 HP tiller outboard that I am hoping to use as a kicker. Trollmaster doesn't have anything that will work with that outboard so I am now looking at installing a separate throttle control at the helm just as I have for my main outboard. This is for safety as well as trolling.

My issue is that I can't seem to find anything in regards to information on how to select what throttle control I need to purchase as well as how to install it. I am also interested in getting it linked to the main outboard for steering. I've been looking at the EZ steer product but have read mixed reviews.

If anyone was willing to point me in the direction of where I can find some info on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone and tight lines!

Model # is ???------Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke ?----Your friendly , helpful local dealer can help with the right kit / parts to do this project.

Where are you located? Anywhere near Duluth? There are no friendly local dealers here! Not since MN Outdoor Recreation Closed 15 years ago.

Last edited:
Model # is ???------Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke ?----Your friendly , helpful local dealer can help with the right kit / parts to do this project.

This is a four stroke engine. Model number - E8RL4EEM.99

I've talked to the two local shops and they have both said they would be able to do it for me if I procure the parts needed. If I get the parts myself, I believe I will be able to get it installed myself.

I'm not far from Duluth at all and you're exactly right! I've had it down to a shop south of the cities to have other things done that were well beyond my capabilities (cylinder honing) however as I mentioned below, they want me to find all the parts needed to complete this task myself. If I have all the materials, I would rather just do it myself.

Try calling Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN. Talk with Mike or Dan, they will be happy to direct you as well as supply affordable parts if you wish. Just tell 'em that Tim sent you.
218 682 2331. They are the best I have found in over 45 years of marine repairs.

Try calling Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN. Talk with Mike or Dan, they will be happy to direct you as well as supply affordable parts if you wish. Just tell 'em that Tim sent you.
218 682 2331. They are the best I have found in over 45 years of marine repairs.

Just got off the phone with them! Mike and Dan weren't available at the time but they are looking into this and will be giving me a call back. Hopefully this works out as I would love to finally have this figured out and not stuck in a standstill like the past month.

Thanks so much timguy!

They are so busy but will make time for you. Since they are such a good shop and nestled right in heavy lake country, they are swamped now. Their Dad, Tim, started the shop 52 years ago. I get most of my parts, whether new or used, from them. Shops here in Duluth/Superior are very lousy.

They are so busy but will make time for you. Since they are such a good shop and nestled right in heavy lake country, they are swamped now. Their Dad, Tim, started the shop 52 years ago. I get most of my parts, whether new or used, from them. Shops here in Duluth/Superior are very lousy.

Got it, that makes sense.

Actually as I started typing this I got a call back and they got a full kit put together for me. They're sending it out tomorrow! I can't thank you enough for the referral Tim. I'm looking forward to getting this and installing it.

Thanks, friend. These people are truly among the best I have ever found. So glad they could help and let our readers "go to school" on this thread. Tim and his family are great folks. They are very competitively priced.......so close that I rarely waste any time to search other sources.

However I did get a follow up call and it turns out that they looked up the wrong outboard and do not carry the system needed for this outboard. Looks like I'm back to square one unfortunately. I'll keep searching the internet in the hopes I can find something that will work.

Sorry for that, guess nobody's perfect. Seems a quick connector over to your main motor should be available then adapt a remote control to your 8 hp. Someone did a 15 hp recently on Marine Engine here for his vintage wooden boat. Check back about 4 weeks. I will look too.

Last edited:
I do not believe Suzuki built any of the SMALL 4 strokes for the EVINRUDE division in the 1990's.----That came later with the Johnson models.

I've got the steering connected and that works great. Currently I have to go back to the stern to shift gears as well as adjust the throttle. I know that it is (or at least was) possible as there is a hole in the engine cowling with a plug in it to allow for the remote throttle and shifting cables access to the internal components. I can't seem to find a controller for sale anywhere online so I am beginning to wonder if it would be possible to retrofit a remote control and the cables to the motor myself. Has anyone ever heard of this being done? Any other suggestions are more than welcomed.

Once again, I appreciate all of the insight and help that has been provided.

Back