Logo

89 evinrude 60hp.. slow crank.. won’t start

Sorsogna

Had some issues after about 30 mins under load

changed coil packs and good for about a week... then it gave me trouble of bogging down and stuttering again about about 30 mins under load

after that it was slow crank and wouldn’t start... changed the battery, cables, cleaned the grounds, and cleaned up the starter.

After that it started right up and ran the best it has in 2 years I’ve had it. Went a full day out fishing and riding around with no issues.

the next day I take it for a quick ride and after 10 mins under load the motor bogged out and wouldn’t start anymore. I had to get towed.

wont start at all anymore. It’s just a slow crank

Pull starter apart and check ohms from commutator to the stub shaft.----Should read infinity.-----Tested your hot horn ?---Replaced impeller ?----Post compression test values.----If it cranks slow the flywheel does not generate a spark !!

The engine must crank over at least 300 rpm in order for the stator to provide the needed AC voltage to the powerpack capacitor.

Also..... Inspect the stator under the flywheel closely to see if there might be a sticky looking substance dripping down upon the timer base and the powerhead area. If this condition exists... replace the stator as that results in a voltage drop that affects the ignition.

A slow cranking engine results in weak, erratic, and/or no ignition (spark).

The slow cranking could be due to a faulty battery, loose cables, tight but dirty cable connections, the starter being bad itself...... First thing to do is to remove, clean thoroughly all cable & wiring connections associated with the starter system, also the components the cables or wiring attaches to! The terminal ends and the components must be absolutely clean, after which tighten them with a wrench or pliers... not your fingers if wing nuts are encountered.

Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
Back