Logo

2000 Johnson 70HP VRO/OMS issues - Convert to standard fuel pump?

Brettm

Engine= 2000 Johnson 70 hp Model= VJ70VLSIS

Just purchased a boat knowing it had some issues with the fuel pump. It appears something has gone wrong with the OMS/ VRO it was filled the carburettors with pure oil. What would or could cause this?

What is the process of converting it to a standard fuel pump? More specifically Once current fuel pump removed what happens to the wiring? Remove it?

Does this remove any other safety features (Over heat etc?)

Appreciate any help!

Vent on the oil tank plugged ?-----Oil tank mounted above the motor ?

Hey Racerone

The tank is not above the motor. However today i noticed the tank has what looks like an outlet/ return that was capped off. This cap was cracked and fell off when i touched it. See below photo.

Could this cause the issue?

Thanks flyingscott today i noticed the tank has what looks like an outlet/ return that was capped off. This cap was cracked and fell off when i touched it. See below photo.

Could this cause the issue?

(VRO Changeover Judgement Call)
(J. Reeves)

The VROs first came out in 1984 and have been upgraded quite a few times. In my opinion, back around 1988, they had perfected them but I think that they were upgraded even more since then. As long as the warning system is operating as it should, I feel quite at ease with them.

Some boaters have voiced their thoughts such as "What if that overpriced plastic horn should fail while I'm under way for some reason, and the VRO decides to fail five minutes later?" Obviously that would result in a big problem which really brings their fears into view.

The word "ease" is the key word though. If one has the slightest feeling of being ill at ease with that setup, then they should take the route they feel more at ease with. A judgement call each individual would need to make on their own.

(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)
(J. Reeves)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup (and fuel restriction warning if so equipped) by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quantity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

Back