Logo

25hp Johnson 2 stroke ra for few min started sounding diff n then shut down n steam n smoke hissing

Both read 90 psi it's a 2 stroke 82 model I pulled hood off when it happened but couldn't c were the steam was coming from I hope I've got lucky just once lol

Last edited:
It's 90 on both but it's been running great for 2 years on 90psi cause I checked it when I bought it would it hurt it worse to try n fire it up to c if water pump is working or does 90psi mean something bad I pull rope 5 consecutive times on each cylinder.Also I just went out n started it two cranks fired up idled no smoke but as soon as I gave it throttle it stopped pumping water out the pee hole could it just b my water pump .thanks for advice also.

Last edited:
If it siezed as you seem to suggest, it could be seriously damaged. Whether it is or not, the head gasket and all exhaust gaskets are burned and need to be replaced as a minimum. And needless to say, the water pump. Um, of course you did have it in the water, right? Don't laugh, stranger things have happened.

I just fired it back up with water hose hooked to it it ran fine until I gave it throttle then it started spitting and sputtering water out the pee hole and then just stopped so I shut it off could it just be my water pump could have I got that lucky

You mentioned luck. Well good luck. It may run but if the gaskets are leaking it may ingest water which will ruin it. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but give it time. We have no way of knowing from here if they are leaking or not. Is the paint discolored? If it is, expect gasket damage.

In agreement with everything stated by Scott and Gator, and would only add the following.

Bonkers... Your explanation of exactly 90 psi compression in both cylinders (if it is exact) would indicate a failed head gasket between the two cylinders which would allow the compression to criss-cross, for lack of a better word, from one cylinder to the other... commonly caused by not torquing the head bolts in a specific manner. The result is close to having the engine submerged, and to put off proper repairs until later is to invite a rusting problem which begin immediately.

At a minimum, carefully clean the surface of the cylinder head and the block, install a new head gasket and torque the head bolts to their specified setting (service manual) in the sequence below whereas each number represents a head bolt.

And be sure to tighten all the other bolts, nuts, screw, on the powerhead as being "that" hot, they are surely loose. The gaskets of the exhaust baffle plate may also need replacing... but... you may be lucky in that department. Time will tell.

Back