Logo

My 1994 5.0 fl has a hard time starting and keeps turning off for about 20 minutes after start

Sarahfloats

I have a dual inboard 5.0 fl, the port fires right up but the starboard has a difficult time starting. Once I get it started it continues to shut off for about 20 minutes. Once it warms up it stays running but makes noises.

That's not going to be enough info. What everyone will need in order to help you;
Correct Engine ID
Carb'd or fuel injected?
How long has this occurred for? Is this a new problem or has it done this since you owned the boat?
Any other repairs done right before this started?
How long between each time it shut off for the first 20 min?
Can you more accurately describe "makes noises" ?
Have you scanned the boat for codes with a code scanner?

Engine ID N/A
Carb'd
Bought 4 weeks ago, been progressively getting worse
New plugs/wires, new distributer cap, new filters, new batteries, tightened loose spark plugs, emptied water separator, cleaned terminals, fixed water leak that was leaking onto alternator, swapped alternator and ignition switch from good motor to bad (no change in starting/running poorly).
It makes a squilling noise that's getting worse. It makes a clunking noise when increase speed.

Squealing noise - increase and decrease with RPM? All the way through RPM range or partial range? Belt tension good on all? Try belt dressing on any of them to eliminate them one by one? Sounds like not alternator.

Clunking to go along with the squealing - What's the condition of the harmonic balancer on the crank? Is this a GM motor with the impeller housing mounted to the crank also? If so, condition of the housing? Did u put in a new impeller 4 weeks ago?

Sounds like the choke isn't doing its job on that engine. Loose spark plugs!!!! UGGGGH check everything on that engine... starting with the compression on that engine.

The squealing is new and doesn't while driving at about 15 rpms then goes away after 10 minutes or so. The clunking happens at about 30-35 rpms and will quit when I lower the rpms or let up on throttle. I can't answer the other questions right now but will try the things you mentioned and let you know more as I learn about this boat. Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

Back