Logo

1977 Evinrude 175 Boyesen Reeds

StophinHousen

Hiya,
well after rebuilding or replacing everything else I have gotten to the reeds of this 175 for my bogging issue that happens 60% of the time. everything else has been checked from fuel supply to spark to compression. boat is a bat out of hell when it finally goes. I do get a sneeze from the motor when I am on muffs or even long idle, and it has a hard time starting in the cold, and staying at idle for too long. I took intake off and I do see light shinning though each of the reed pedals. Some are just a tiny bit of light others area good credit card size gap or too. since I cant afford to replace them all with new steel cages, I have ordered some Boyesen Reeds. I am under the gun on this one and have a big fishing trip coming up in 7 days. my questions are; 1. will I have to rejet? if so where can I find some, Marine engine only has one size for my motor. could I still go with it running fat if I cant source jets in time? 2. what do i have to do to get the cages ready ? ive read that some people are hand sanding them, should I do the same and if so how much should I take off ?

I appreciate any input

Thanks

What elevation are you running at ?--------You might want to talk to your local helpful dealer about changing jets for your area.

What elevation are you running at ?--------You might want to talk to your local helpful dealer about changing jets for your area.

8,000ft no dealer anywhere close, sadly im it for techs in valley (which is a low bar) best option is Denver but too far to get anything this week.

even evinrude online only shows one option for idle and main circuits. and since its a non-adjustable carb I'm wondering if I even need too

The parts book does NOT list all the available jets.------You have to find a dealer who will help for that situation at 8000' above sea level.----Just in case you are doubtful many of the factory manuals have a full page with all the available jets for those V-4 / V-6 crossflow carburetors !!!----I just looked in a manual a minute ago.----Find that dealer ( grey haired ) in your area that knows what to do.

The parts book does NOT list all the available jets.------You have to find a dealer who will help for that situation at 8000' above sea level.----Just in case you are doubtful many of the factory manuals have a full page with all the available jets for those V-4 / V-6 crossflow carburetors !!!----I just looked in a manual a minute ago.----Find that dealer ( grey haired ) in your area that knows what to do.

alright well maybe Evinrude will help me online, I don't have a (grey haired) in the area, I have looked and looked. The only other marine mechanic I've somewhat found is 3 1/2 hours away but very rude and didnt really want to help me with my old Evinrude and just wanted to sell me a newer motor.

My sealoc manual doesn't have anything, got a recommendation where I could find that list? for now im on my own.

Back