Logo

Bayliner 3.0 runs great WOT but won’t idle long

KB19

I have a 1991 Bayliner Capri with a 3.0 mercruiser. So here is my issue the boat has had this problem for years it will start and idle for 2 mins or so and die but if I put it in gear it’s fine I can drive all day wot with no problems but if I brink it back to idle it will die. And the only way I can get it to start again is if I push the throttle all the way down and let it turn over for about 15 seconds once it starts I have to let it rev up then I just have to keep feathering the throttle until I’m ready to get back in gear and go. And when it does start back up it smells really rich.

One of three things comes immediately to mind:

1. Carb is slow flooding, enough to cause lousy idle, but no so much as to flood the engine out when throttled up

2. Your timing is retarded due to improper timing procedure. That was my problem, now cured.

3. Your flame arrestor is filthy dirty and choking out the engine.

Jeff

..."Guess I should add I did not have this problem until I did a carb rebuild kit 4 years ago "

There you go! Gas is leaking by the needle and seat, or the float is set too high.

Jeff

I have a 1991 Bayliner Capri with a 3.0 mercruiser. So here is my issue the boat has had this problem for years it will start and idle for 2 mins or so and die but if I put it in gear it’s fine I can drive all day wot with no problems
Operating at WOT all day is an excellent way to shorten the life of your engine!
The OEM WOT RPM is to be used as a test RPM only as to determine if you are geared and propped correctly for a given engine!

but if I brink it back to idle it will die. And the only way I can get it to start again is if I push the throttle all the way down and let it turn over for about 15 seconds once it starts I have to let it rev up then I just have to keep feathering the throttle until I’m ready to get back in gear and go. And when it does start back up it smells really rich.
Take heed to what Jeff has suggested!

I also have a Bayliner Capri with 3.0 from 1991 and guess what? I have the same issue! So I am following this topic :)
But for me, when the engine has stopped I am not able to get it running again. I will try that 15 seconds trick and see if it works. She is becoming grumpy these days.

Last edited:
Remove the flame arrestor and have someone hold the choke wide open with a screw driver. Give it full throttle and crank away. (Be ready to pull her back when she does.) You might try a shot of ether here as well.

Unlike 'sensible' car engine setups, most of the marine engine carbs I've seen lack the linkage that opens the choke at full throttle, to allow one to get the motor going if it's flooded.

Jeff

.... and some times, with brass floats, they "sink" and never shut off fuel flow from the fuelpump under low demand times...
Heed Ricardo's caveat. Engine life @ WOT RPM drops to the low hundreds or even high tens of hours as contrasted to thousands of hours at 70 to 80% of WOT.

Back