Logo

1994 four winns 235 omc king cobra ignition module bad

Awaysbroke_mi

Hello everyone. I have a 1994 four winn omc king cobra with the Ford 5.8 my ignition module took a dump and Im trying to figure out how i could covert this to pertronix systems is this a possible? What parts would I need to get
it to work...thanks in advance

By 1994, OMC was now owned by Volvo Penta! I could be that your 1994 boat was fitted with a 1993 OMC.
Post a few photos of your stern drive.

As for the Pertronix system, these use Hall Effect triggering.
Intrinsically Hall Effect is OK, but.... the way in which Pertronix uses it is cheezy at best.
The dies cast magnet embedded plastic wheel offers inaccuracies of 1 to 1.5 degrees.
1 or 1.5 degrees at the distributor equals 2 or 3 degrees at the crankshaft!

I would suggest that you steer clear of Hall Effect such as how Pertronix uses it.
You'll do much better with a different system.

By 1994, OMC was now owned by Volvo Penta! I could be that your 1994 boat was fitted with a 1993 OMC.
Post a few photos of your stern drive.

As for the Pertronix system, these use Hall Effect triggering.
Intrinsically Hall Effect is OK, but.... the way in which Pertronix uses it is cheezy at best.
The dies cast magnet embedded plastic wheel offers inaccuracies of 1 to 1.5 degrees.
1 or 1.5 degrees at the distributor equals 2 or 3 degrees at the crankshaft!

I would suggest that you steer clear of Hall Effect such as how Pertronix uses it.
You'll do much better with a different system.

I'll put some pictures up later on today. so what system do you recommend should i do? Thanks

Keep in mind that you must use a Marine ignition system that meets the USCG regs.
These will be ignition source protected, will offer the correct progressive and total advance curve, and will not incorporate vacuum advance.

NOTE: the 5.0L and 5.8L Ford Marine ignition distributors are NOT interchangeable.

Mallory offers a VR or Photo-Eye triggering, w/ mechanical advance

example only
shopping

Davis Unified is an HEI system w/ magnetic triggering and mechanical advance

example only
dui-358212rd_w_ml.jpg

Keep in mind that you must use a Marine ignition system that meets the USCG regs.
These will be ignition source protected, will offer the correct progressive and total advance curve, and will not incorporate vacuum advance.

NOTE: the 5.0L and 5.8L Ford Marine ignition distributors are NOT interchangeable.

Mallory offers a VR or Photo-Eye triggering, w/ mechanical advance

example only
shopping

Davis Unified is an HEI system w/ magnetic triggering and mechanical advance

example only
dui-358212rd_w_ml.jpg

Thanks for for the response appreciated...So with this distributor do I pull power from the old ignition module how about the shift interrupter switch does that get wire in to distributor?

There is an ESA "fix-me-kit" or "module" that you can purchase that allows the use of this type of ignition system.

Since you say that your ignition module took a dump (assuming that you did not have a points style system)...... you may already have this component.

Last edited:
Back