Logo

Tohatsu 5HP 4-Stroke throttle drum/ throttle opener/ throttle rod connection

Cowbass

I cannot configure the throttle rod, drum, and opener properly. One end of the rod sits in a hole on top of the carburetor and the other end comes up through a hole in the throttle opener. But the throttle opener and drum are independent of each other so that when the throttle handle is turned, the cables move the drum back and forth but this motion is not transferred to the carburetor. It seems as if the throttle drum and opener need to act as a unit if the motion of the drum is to be transferred to the carburetor. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_4149.jpg
    IMG_4149.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 55
The reason that the drum and opener are independent is so that the throttle can open as the choke knob is pulled. You have it assembled incorrectly. Here is a page from the parts catalog:
002-21046-6_FIG03.jpg

Thank you Paul for your response. I have that schematic and I saw this same question asked, and your response, posted on this forum a couple of years ago but I am still stuck. If you look at the photo and compare it to the schematic I'm pretty certain that they match. When the choke is pulled the throttle does open as it should. Then when the throttle handle is turned, the drum rotates (because the cables are connected to it). But since the opener is independent from the drum (and the drum is not connected to the throttle arm) the motion of the drum doesn't open the throttle. In other words their independence does not allow for the motion of the drum to be transferred to the opener and the opener cannot open the throttle. I have spent hours looking at this and making sure my configuration matches the schematic, and paying close attention to the way the drum and the opener fit together, yet no luck. Any other thoughts? I certainly do appreciate your input.

Followup: A neighbor took a look and quickly realized the throttle drum was missing a little tab that engaged with a slot in the bottom of the throttle opener. It had broken off flush with the surface and I didn't recognize the problem. So I guess the drum and opener are not truly independent of each other, rather they are connected albeit with some play between them. The schematic was not detailed enough to show the tab.
Anyway, problem solved. It should be obvious I am a total newcomer to engines. This is the first time I have ever ventured under the cover and attempted to do more than just look!

I had the exact same experience with the throttle drum/opener! I searched everywhere and scoured the parts diagrams. I could not imagine why the 2 parts were not interacting! It was maddening - and then I found this post! Thank you, thank you thank you. The tab must easily break off. Problem solved!

In 20 years of turning wrenches on these, I've never broken one, but I suppose everyone works a little differently. I'm glad you figured it out.

Thanks Koonie and Paul. I found that engine in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy near my home in Rockaway Beach. It was not working and it then sat for 7 years behind my house. Last summer I decided to have a look at it, never having dealt with any type of engine before. It looked almost new inside and turned out it wasn't difficult to learn some basics, order a few parts on line, (carburator, etc.) and finally to get it running, although a stumbling block was that pin. By the end of last summer the engine was mounted on a small skiff and working fine. So satisfying!
Glad that was a help.

Back