Logo

50hp evinrude have to use choke to get WOT

kjdavi76

I have a 1983 evinrude 50hp model E50BELCTA. I have replaced everything electrical on the engine except the primer solenoid and have taken it apart and it seems to be working properly. All fuel lines have been replaced. Timing has been checked on the lake. Everything is good the motor runs good at idle and up to 1/4 throttle. As soon as its time to go to the intermediate jet the motor dies. However if i hold the choke in the boat will go to WOT and runs great. As soon as i let off of the choke it dies again. I cant make any sense out of this. I have remove the orifices twice and cleaned carbs twice. Any ideas? Could i just need a new primer solenoid even though it seems to be working?

That doesn't sound like the problem, has to be fuel restriction. Did you physically clean jets with a welding tip cleaner.....or something similar? When did the problem begin, after a storage period?

Fuel from the primer valve goes directly into the motor.-----This fuel bypasses the carburetor metering circuits.-----That suggest that there is a problem in the carburetors.

Fuel from the primer valve goes directly into the motor.-----This fuel bypasses the carburetor metering circuits.-----That suggest that there is a problem in the carburetors.

I physically cleaned all the ports and orifices with wire tip carb cleaner. I agree it sounds like a fuel restriction somewhere i just cant locate the problem. The boat had set for several years I am working on it for a guy. It wouldnt do anything when he brought it to me.

What about bad floats or sticking needles? Might not be filling carbs fast enough. But I would check out those high speed jets as Joe Reeves said. Could warped carb bowls cause this?

I cleaned the high speed jets again. Runs good now but i have to keep pumping the primer bulb for it to run. If I stop for even a little bit it will die. I put a new fuel pump on it. Is it possible tgat the new fuel pump is bad?

These fuel pumps are ultra reliable.----Often replaced for no good reason.-----But test run with another tank and hose.

I cleaned the high speed jets again. Runs good now but i have to keep pumping the primer bulb for it to run. If I stop for even a little bit it will die. I put a new fuel pump on it. Is it possible tgat the new fuel pump is bad?

Just to make sure that we are on the same page.... The brass high speed jets are located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chamber, way in back of the drain screw plug. They are to be cleaned carefully with a blunt ended piece of single strand steel wire... NOT... something with a sharpened point on it! You want to be able to scrape off that dried up gunk that clogging it, NOT poke a hole in it!

Yes it's possible to purchase a faulty fuel pump as is everything else, but first, check....... Did you accidentally hook the hoses up backwards?..... Did you forget to install that thick gasket between the pump and the block?

If you've checked and the two areas mentioned directly above are as they should be.... and the engine runs okay as long as you pump the fuel primer bulb (acting as a manual fuel pump)... but... stops running as soon as you stop pumping that bulb... then unfortunately, that would indicate a flawed fuel pump.

Let us know what you find.

Originally you didn't have to pump the primer bulb to make it run, right? You have to review what you did that changed the operation. If using the choke was originally what it needed to run full speed, then the fuel supply .........to that point........was adequate.

Originally you didn't have to pump the primer bulb to make it run, right? You have to review what you did that changed the operation. If using the choke was originally what it needed to run full speed, then the fuel supply .........to that point........was adequate.

Very good point Tim. A reminder... sometimes I lose track.

And with adequate fuel being obviously supplied, proven as the engine runs as long as the Fuel Primer Solenoid is engaged which bypasses the carburetor(s)... I'm wondering if the high speed jets are really being cleaned... or something else? Fuel must flow thru those jets before the flow can travel thru any other passageway... and it obviously isn't.

Perhaps too complicated for me... makes my head hurt. :)

That is absolutely correct Joe. By pumping the primer bulb the operator is physically adding fuel pressure which may compensate for a restriction in the jet.

Ok all wanted to update. I got the problem fixed. The high speed jets were clogged. I thought i was cleaning it but i was cleaning the intermediate jet. Also the primer bulb was sticking. Runs like a too now. Thank you everyone for your help.

Ok all wanted to update. I got the problem fixed. The high speed jets were clogged. I thought i was cleaning it but i was cleaning the intermediate jet. Also the primer bulb was sticking. Runs like a too now. Thank you everyone for your help.

A common problem with boaters who don't read what we take time to spell out. You were told exactly where the high speed jet was and how to clean it. Really makes us feel like we're wasting out time... which we actually are. I'm thinking the hell with it!

Posts #3 and #5 were steering you in the right direction.----Post #4 and #6 indicate you had doubts on the advice given !

Back