Logo

2002 Johnson 150 stalling when put in gear.

treykelly

Motor runs great out of the water. Once i put it in the water it dies when put in gear, after a couple of tries it will catch and run fine. It idles around 500 rpm. Motor run great once i get it over 700 rpm. After drifting for hour or so when i start it up again it does the same thing dies two or three times then catches and everything is fine. So frustrated need help PLEASE. Had this motor at an authorized dealer and payed $1100 dollars for carburetor repairs and still doing the same thing. Shop argues with saying it runs fine but refuses to come to the boat ramp. Just wondering if fuel hoses are breaking down and clogging jets. I will take any help and do what ever is needed. I do notice when i choke it to start a little fuel comes out of the red level on primer valve. Order rebuild kit for it.

Last edited:
Motor runs great out of the water. Once i put it in the water it dies when put in gear, after a couple of tries it will catch and run fine. It idles around 500 rpm. Motor run great once i get it over 700 rpm. After drifting for hour or so when i start it up again it does the same thing dies two or three times then catches and everything is fine. So frustrated need help PLEASE. Had this motor at an authorized dealer and payed $1100 dollars for carburetor repairs and still doing the same thing. Shop argues with saying it runs fine but refuses to come to the boat ramp. Just wondering if fuel hoses are breaking down and clogging jets. I will take any help and do what ever is needed. I do notice when i choke it to start a little fuel comes out of the red level on primer valve. Order rebuild kit for it.

When you put it in gear, there is a small moment where a kill switch will stop the motor power and resume as soon as gear is engaged. If that switch is misaglined or contacts corroded, it may keep it off for longer and the transition momentum may be insufficient to keep the momentum to take over the engine momentum, especially when in water as it needs to overcome the water resistance too. That's why it may be changing gears while on muffs but not when put in water.

Another thing you may check is Reed valves throwing gas mixture outside instead of inside the combustion chamber. This can be done easily by keeping a piece of paper towel on the carborator openings after removing the black cover from the carburetor.

Hope this solves your issue. let us know.

Back