Logo

Water Pump Kit 1988 15 HP Jonson

Hello. I did a bone headed thing and accidentally ran my 1988 Johnson 15 HP outboard dry. Naturally, I fried the water pump. I have the rebuild kit, and everything makes sense except one thing. There are 2 O rings; a large one and a small one. The large one helps seal the crankshaft opening on top of the pump housing . Can anyone tell me where the small one goes? I do not see it in the parts diagram here on the site. Any help in clearing up this mystery will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If at the top end of the driveshaft, there is a ridgegroove cut just below the driveshaft splines... that's where the small "O" Ring goes. Be sure to grease the splines.

If at the top end of the driveshaft, there is a ridgegroove cut just below the driveshaft splines... that's where the small "O" Ring goes. Be sure to grease the splines.

Thanks for the very quick answer, Joe. However, there is no ridgegroove cut near the top of the drive shaft. The O ring does seem to be the size of the drive shaft, but I sure wish I knew where to put it. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Dennis

As above, the pump kit is for quite a few models. If your DS doesn't have that top groove, you don't use that O Ring.

Back