Logo

1992 Crusader 454XL carb replacement

I'm pretty sure my 1992 454XL engines have Holley 4011 carbs, the stamping on the horn is R-84042. I just learned that these aren't even the marine version, they must have been replaced over the years because the correct carb number would be R-84024 or R-84026

They are pretty worn out. Performance is poor, gasoline fumes are strong and they are seeping fuel from various locations. Aside from sending them off for rebuild or exchange, what are my options for ordering new carbs from Holley? Is there a current model that replaces the 4011's?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Pretty sure the 4011 was holley's replacement for the Q-jets....so they are 'non-traditional' spreadbore flanged units....I didn't see any new spreadbore offerings...you might want to call holley to verify...

If you have the vertical clearance, you may want to consider a spreadbore to square bore adapter....and mods to the fuel line and possibly the cable routing/mounting....and maybe a new flame arrestor...

Pretty sure the 4011 was holley's replacement for the Q-jets....so they are 'non-traditional' spreadbore flanged units....I didn't see any new spreadbore offerings...you might want to call holley to verify...

If you have the vertical clearance, you may want to consider a spreadbore to square bore adapter....and mods to the fuel line and possibly the cable routing/mounting....and maybe a new flame arrestor...

Thanks. Yeah, vertical clearance would be a challenge. I've gotten a quote of $288 each to rebuild the current carbs, not sure what the difference is between these and the proper "marine" versions but would like to find a couple of those if I can.

on the holleys, J tubes on the vents is the first indicator of marine mods....Holley's tech support line can give you the details beyond that....otherwise, you have to go thru the parts diagrams and figure out the deltas between what you have and what you want on the 4011's....that said, they are similar to the GM TBI units - short lifetimes in production = not a lot of spare parts....

Update - the carbs do have the J tubes on the vents and are definitely Holley 4011 marine carbs. Internet rebuild guy was wrong.

Had the local marina rebuild both carbs using Holley OEM rebuild kits. Kind of pricey at $450 per carb but that included remove/replace with the rebuild.

The difference has been awesome! Both engines start right up after sitting over a week with no throttle pumping, idle smoothly, and acceleration is much improved. I've also noticed there is no more fuel smell like there was before - tech said secondaries on both carbs were almost totally plugged up and the butterflies sticking.

Lets hope that continues....$450 a piece is a bit steep but it will vary with location and demand.....sounds like it was cost effective in this case....

Lets hope that continues....$450 a piece is a bit steep but it will vary with location and demand.....sounds like it was cost effective in this case....

Yeah, I actually just got the invoice via email - with rebuild kits and tax it was just over $1K.

Very steep but then marina service around here is that way. I could have removed them myself and mailed them to one of the rebuild places who would have done them both for less than $600 so I essentially paid $400 to have a mechanic remove and replace and set them up for me. Worth it, I guess.

The carbs were really gummed up because this boat would sit for months at a stretch without being started. I run these engines almost weekly so hopefully it will be many years before I need to do this again.

Last edited:
Back