Logo

J150GTLCUR no spark on cylinders 4&6 - can't figure out

acbyrd

Hey guys,

I have a 1987 Johnson J150GTLCUR V6 with the VRO and I have been having issues when trying to give it throttle lately.

After getting it off the water and home I was doing some testing and found that the middle and bottom cylinders on the port side were not getting spark.

I tested with a multimeter and noted that the power pack seemed to be sending the same amount of volts to all 3 cylinders on the port side and so then I tested for spark with an inline spark tester and that is how I found that those 2 cylinders were not getting any spark.

I have replaced the coil packs on the 2 bad cylinders - no change
I then replaced the power pack on the port side and still no change.

Any troubleshooting help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to be able to get it back up and running before labor day so I can take my kids out on the water.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Update - after doing lots of research on google I came across an issue where if you unplug the kill wire (yellow and black) to the power pack and test that it might regain it's spark. Low and behold, when I tried it, both cylinders have spark now that didn't previously. Now I am beginning to think that this may be an issue from when I had to replace the ignition (kid lost the one and only key we got from when we bought it). It has been run since we replaced the ignition but I guess i didn't put 2&2 together. Now I am wondering if I wired it incorrectly somehow. Pictures to follow soon.

SO it looks like that kill switch wire was the problem. There was a short. All is working well now and she is faster and more responsive than ever.

SO it looks like that kill switch wire was the problem. There was a short. All is working well now and she is faster and more responsive than ever.

good job figuring that out! I am also having a no spark issue so I will look into what you did.

Back