Logo

Ocean pro 150's will not rev past 4k at idle or 2500 under load

Dustin440

I am at a complete loss with my twin 150's. They will not rev past 4k at idle in the water or go past 2-2500 trying to accelerate. I rebuilt all 12 carbs this spring but used cheap Amazon rebuild kits and the motors would run great wide open but they would not idle. The cheap gaskets in the kits looked like wet noodles after running them. I got refunded the money and boat oem johnson kits with floats and everything and even new carb bowls because some were warped.
I rebuilt them all again and put the boat in the water the weekend before last and now it will idle great but will not plane the boat. I pulled all 6 carbs from one motor to check the floats and readjusted them in case it was running out of fuel but that didn't seem to make any difference. When I removed them and drained they were all full of fuel.
Since it is happening to both motors today I looked at the only common thing which is the gas tank. I thought maybe I got bad gas when I filled up so I ran 1 motor from a gas can plumbed directly to the motor and still the exact same thing.
Is there something I could have done wrong on all 12 carbs? I also took a video trying to rev it in the water I will try to attach. Thanks for any help you guys have.
https://youtu.be/S-ixnkYKeXM

I am sure it isnt great for it but other than taking it on open water to see if it acted different I didn't have another way to test it. This is the third year I have owned it and they ran great before. The only reason I rebuilt them is the end of last year I noticed a few of them were leaking gas really bad. The boat normally cruises 4k rpm and about 32mph and top out around 5300 and 43mph.

So I think I might have found my problem. I was just reading some of the new threads on here and saw one about replacing 2 power heads in 2 years and this struck me:
"Next time around on cleaning the carburetors, make sure that the brass high speed jets are "all" perfectly clean. They lay hidden horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chambers, way in back of the drain screw."
I did not know the high speed jet was hiding in the bottom of the float bowl so I am assuming the new bowls I got do not already have those installed and I did not transfer them. Lucky for me I have not tossed the ones yet so I will double check they are not installed and then put them in hopefully Sunday and hopefully that will fix my problem.

So I think I might have found my problem. I was just reading some of the new threads on here and saw one about replacing 2 power heads in 2 years and this struck me:"Next time around on cleaning the carburetors, make sure that the brass high speed jets are "all" perfectly clean. They lay hidden horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chambers, way in back of the drain screw." I did not know the high speed jet was hiding in the bottom of the float bowl so I am assuming the new bowls I got do not already have those installed and I did not transfer them. Lucky for me I have not tossed the ones yet so I will double check they are not installed and then put them in hopefully Sunday and hopefully that will fix my problem.

Yeah Dustin... I keep preaching about those high speed jets... glad you came across that statement. Hopefully it cures your problem.

Joe I am so glad that you had posted that and I stumbled across it. If not I would never have figured that out. Unfortunately I had thrown one of the bowls away because it was cracked so I had to order 1 more jet and I doubt it gets here to install sunday so I might have to wait a little longer to verify 100%.

During the rebuild of the 12 carbs on my twin 175's, on the last 2 I found exactly that issue....the high speed jets were backed out almost all the way to the access screw!
I didn't notice it on the other 10!

Last edited:
During the rebuild of the 12 carbs on my twin 175's, on the last 2 I found exactly that issue....the high speed jets were backed out almost all the way to the access screw!
I didn't notice it on the other 10!

Sadly I wish that had happened to me only so I would have noticed them in there! I have to wait until after Wednesday when the replacemetn for the one jet I tossed in the trash comes in. I went down yesterday and checked and sure enough no jets were installed so I put in the 11 I did have and fired 1 motor up and sure enough that was my problem. Again I want to give great thanks to joereeves posting that information out there. Without it I don't think I would have ever figured it out.

Back