Logo

5.0 Front Oil Leak

mhcrra1

It has been non-stop with this boat this year!
Anyway, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I pulled both motors (twice) and replaced oil pans, gaskets, front timing covers, etc. etc. etc. Now that they are back in the boat and running, I appear to have a fairly constant oil drip coming from the front of one of the motors only when running. As we all know, it's impossible to get under there to look with the engine running without DYING.....from the pullies and belts etc. but it definitely is dripping from the front of the oil pan area. The pans are brand new, gaskets brand new, PLASTIC timing covers are brand new because they were cracked and falling apart, RTV has been applied to the whole front and rear of the pan/gasket, the front main seals were new as they come already in the timing covers. Oil pressure is good at about 60psi......what the heck am I missing??? I have been racking my brain trying to figure out just what is going on....I am at my whits end for sure.
I would love any input/ideas you can all offer me.....besides gas and a match. :)
Thanks, Rob

Scratch that....both engines run the same rotation now that I think of it....the reverse rotation has to be in the outdrive correct???? When looking at the motors running both belts go the same way so they have to be the same.....?????

I ask because if you put a standard rotation front seal in a reverse rotation motor the oil comes out the front of the seal

My instinct is to suspect the wear surface of the harmonic balancer. If you pull that off, look for a groove or other scoring marks. That's probably preventing a good seal. The part can be saved with a "speedy-sleeeve". You'll want a new front oil seal too.

My instinct is to suspect the wear surface of the harmonic balancer. If you pull that off, look for a groove or other scoring marks. That's probably preventing a good seal. The part can be saved with a "speedy-sleeeve". You'll want a new front oil seal too.

I would also suggest that the front seal is the culprit.

I did also replace the harmonic balancer on that motor because one of the pulley bolts was snapped off in it.........so I would be less suspect of that one.

Do you mean the crank seal or oil pan seal? Oil pan only goes one way so I assume you mean crank seal? That was pre-installed in the timing cover when I got it......

Do you mean the crank seal or oil pan seal? Oil pan only goes one way so I assume you mean crank seal? That was pre-installed in the timing cover when I got it......

i had this problem several years ago, steady drip while running new moto r. the drip was right on the side of the timing cover to oil pan location, in other words, not dead center. what i was told by my machine shop guy was clean both surfaces, use ultra grey sealer, tighten the t/c up and let it sit at least 24hrs. that solved my issue, the only sucky thing is, you have to lower the oil pan low enough to take the rubber 1 piece gasket out of the timing cover. i bought a Milwauke 3/8 electric ratchet, got under the engine asd far as possible and pulled out all but the last 4 bolts, the pan laid low enough to do the job.
good luck, and also , make sure you clean up all that old gasket sealer. make a nice bead around the t/c and especially where the oil pan gasket /oil pan and timing cover meet up

Back