Logo

96 4.3 GL cutting out and backfiring past half throttle - fine if under half

DanADaMan

Bought a 96 Invader this year with a 4.3 GL motor (carburated motor). I've ran it about a dozen times so far this year with no issues other than the temp gauge being dead (it is the temp sensor as the gauge moves if grounded).

Anyways, a few days ago the boat started to cut out at wot or anywhere past half throttle. It is not constant, in that it temporarily stalls (cuts out) but then re-starts and goes and then a few seconds later repeats - sometimes when it restarts it will backfire. I find that when I steer to either direction (when past half throttle) is escalates the issue. Odd though if at half throttle or less, it runs fine (no cutting out or stalling even when turning). When it does stall out, I notice the fuel and other gauges start to swing, which I find wierd being the gauges work off the battery and shouldn't be impacted with the engine running or not???

I looked at the battery connections and they are all good. I pulled the plugs and did notice carbon building, so I cleaned them and ensured the gap was at .45 on all - this made no difference.

Could it be the temp sensor - read somewhere that a bad temp sensor will cause the engine to run rich but wouldn't this only be applicable to electronic ignition systems and not ones with a carb?

Any suggestions where to look. Thanks

Back