Logo

Evinrude 9.5 Starter Pinion won't rise

sailor88

Hey! Still working on my 9.5, one of the problem I am facing is that when I pull the starter, the pinion gear won't rise to bite the flywheel. Sometimes if I pull really fast, it would, but most time I have to manually raise the pinion gear with my fingers, let the teeth bite the fly wheel then pull the cord. Kind of annoying. My guess is somewhere there's a spring or sth that's loosen, how do I fix this problem? Do I have to take the starter off?

So to fix it, do I have to take the whole starter group off? Hoping to avoid that. I searched youtube, there are plenty of videos to replace the rope, but nothing to fix my problem.

Friction on the spring is what moves the gear up.----Some folks lubricate that spring for some reason.-----The spring can be bent to grip more.----Sit back and look at this. --- not hard to figure out in my opinion.

Ok, I think I see how this works now, basically just a rod turning on a slope, which raise or lower the pinion gear, my pinion gear has a resistance somewhere, it doesn't turn smoothly, I guess there's debris inside, going to have to take it apart ...

Well, Eventually I solved the problem by a combination of lubricant and not letting the bendix fall all the way to the bottom.

But still I'd like to replace the old bendix, don't see how you would do that? That rod seems to be in the way, do I push really hard and it will pop up on the other side?

No need to take anything apart.... just reach under that gear ans snap the tension griping thing back in the bendix gear groove. If missing, a new one will just slip in there also.

Back