Logo

1979 johnson

yrtem

Hi people

I am a newbie so be gentle. I purchased a 35horse Johnson. Model 35R79. I believe it to be a long shaft. There is a 35RL79 listed but not sure what the dif is. I need a short shaft to go with 15" transom. So I am looking for info on doing this. Not sure if can find used parts or if need to buy new. Don't want to spend more than I have to. I am a pretty savvy mechanic on car, atv, lawn stuff, but don't know much about outboards. I am waiting on fuel line and gas tank to see if she will start. Compression is 115 in one cyl, and the other is 118. She is kinda rough but guy said he ran it last year, but not to sure about that. I like to fix older stuff, and bring it back to life. However my budget is limited. I will take pics.etc when I get some help getting it on stand so can see whats up. Gear selector seems very lose. Any advise on where to start, and if this worth doing etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Measuring from the underside of the transom brackets (where they would it upon the transom) down to the anti cavitation plate (just about the propeller), an approximate measurement of 15" would indicate a short shaft... 20" for a long shaft.

A 35R79 might have been converted to long shaft with an extension kit, however a 35RL79, long shaft from the factory, should have a longer exhaust housing rather than an extension kit and would be a major operation to convert to short shaft. Bottom line, look for a 5" spacer above the lower unit gearcase, and if you see one, it can be converted to short shaft without too much grief. Big expense to do so would be a short drive shaft.

A 35R79 might have been converted to long shaft with an extension kit, however a 35RL79, long shaft from the factory, should have a longer exhaust housing rather than an extension kit and would be a major operation to convert to short shaft. Bottom line, look for a 5" spacer above the lower unit gearcase, and if you see one, it can be converted to short shaft without too much grief. Big expense to do so would be a short drive shaft.

ok. thanks. will get some pics and mesurments, and get back to you.

alright. I think I have a short shaft. Going to try and post pics. No gas line yet so can't try and start, but there are other issues. The linkage for the forward or reverse seems to have come disconnected. I took inspection plate off housing and can see it is held together by a 2 clamp system, and bottom half is off. shift lever is lose and wobbles around which is why I looked. Also could not get it to change gears, or find neutral. which would be nice when it comes to time to start her up.

These are pics taken with my phone and uploaded to my computer. I am tech challenged, so I don't know if there is a way to make them smaller. If you do please advise. I did get my tank and gasoline, and she did start but can't keep it going. Took carb off and it wasn't to dirty but gaskets were falling apart, and float was good but the pivot pin was screwed up. Got a carb kit ordered. As well as a new shift connector. I need the L shaped rod that holds the tilt up. The one on it is rusted half through. Haven't been able to get it out yet, but will. Can I buy this anywhere? The one on marine engine is $75.00. WOW. Just an L shape piece of rod with a spring and a keeper on end. I was thinking $25 or so. Also need new rubber hood gasket where it connects to the motor housing. $75.00 for this too. Do they sell by foot somewhere. Thanks for your responses and interest. Now that I know she runs good and no major issues I plan to bring her back to looking and running good.

Back