Logo

1997 yamaha outboard 90 2 stroke

BrandonS.

Motor runs great for a bit maybe an hour or two then only wants to idle. Revs up in neutral but in gear only runs at a fast idle once warmed up. Could the motor be hot? Checked water impeller it looks great nothing broken or wrong with it.

Motor cranks and idles great doesnt miss a beat.
Mixed gas at 50:1 ratio
small fuel leak found on vent line leading into fuel tank, tightened hose clamps seems good now.
Still gas in the water in back of boat. Gas tank is under the floor near impossible to see.
Gas tank leads to filter then primer bulb then motor.
Unsure of compression on motor but seems fine when first getting to lake runs great 25mph

Ideas on what else to check or try are appreciated.

Last edited:
Address fuel system 1st. Are you saying that after you tightened hose clamp you are still experiencing a fuel leak? Check if water in fuel by dumping contents of water/fuel separator and/or fuel filter into glass cup.

After you've confirmed no fuel leak or water infiltration then pull/clean carbs, including jets.

Address fuel system 1st. Are you saying that after you tightened hose clamp you are still experiencing a fuel leak? Check if water in fuel by dumping contents of water/fuel separator and/or fuel filter into glass cup.

After you've confirmed no fuel leak or water infiltration then pull/clean carbs, including jets.

Yes, after hose clamp was tightened i still have a gas smell in the water in the back of boat. Now this could be from previous leak and just mixing with the water that comes in and running to the back periodically. I need to get all that out to tell if the leak is ongoing. Is it safe to spray out a fiberglass hull if i removed the hull plugs so it can drain? First fiberglass boat.
very hard to see the gas tank or down around it. All i can really see are the inlet hoses that run from the fill cap on the deck. The tank itself shouldnt leak but the connections might.

Ill be going thru the fuel system in the next few days best i can and I’ll update what i find.

Back