Logo

2015 Honda 9.9 choke issue

roadkingsteve

Newbe, first post.

I looked for someone else here with the same problem but found none.

I bought it new two years ago from a dealer who was changing from Honda to Merc and Suzuki, it was the last one on the floor. I don't use it much, maybe only 20 hrs. on it.
Using it this weekend it started as always 1 or 2 pulls with choke on, then push choke in. Ran fine.
Next morning when I pulled choke out it went back in. Had to hold it out with one hand and pull start with other hand. It started and ran fine until idling Back to trailer at the ramp. Idling rough and died, something it has never done. Once home I put it in the flush tank and it started OK but rough idle. I don't think the choke is coming out all the way and when I release it goes back in. Pulled the plugs and they are black, as if too rich.

Is there a way to adjust the choke? Has anyone here ever had this prob?

Thanks for any help, Steve

The choke on those little Hondas is a pain. I find you really don't need it at all. Simply twist your throttle from idle position to full thottle and back to idle position slowly three times, that will cause the accelerator pump to inject raw fuel which will be sufficient for an instant cold start. Once started run the engine at fast idle (small amount of throttle) for about half a minute and you should be good to go. If by doing this you still have a rough idle situation you might need to strip and clean the carb, see how you go.

Thank you iang6766;

I have put new spark plugs in it and because I was this far into it I changed the oil. Upon inspection it seems that there is no butterfly type choke and whatever happens when the knob is pulled out, it seems to be stuck in half choke position. Accounting for running rich. I have not run it under load yet but when I do, should I try some kind of cleaner? Maybe Seafoam or Techron.

Thanks for your help, Steve

The enrichment device is a plunger with a tapered metering needle attached to it. If you follow the cable to the carburettor you will see a black plastic nut, undo it and remove the plunger and check to see if it moves freely.

As ian said, these "chokes" (starting enrichment) are a real p.i.t.a.
What i have found is that the cable housing (item 12 in the link below) goes bad where it threads into the carb. There is no "hack" to fix it but to simply replace the housing.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...fp9-9dk0-lha-2007-and-later/carburetor-manual

It's been a few years since I did one of these so the memory is fuzzy.
But I seem to recall that it's easier to buy the housing and cable and not try to reuse the old cable with the new housing.

Good luck.

Back