Logo

Merc 650 3 cyl electrical question

Dwinterburn

I have recently replaced a 75 hp Mariner motor with a 65 hp Merc. 3 cyl. along with the remote. When I started the engine the Tach would not work. It was connected through the connector on the front of the remote. (Brown wire) That wire ohm tested good with no short to ground or power, to the switch box. I ran a jumper wire from the rectifier to the tach signal lead and the tach began to work. My question is, can I run it like that or will I damage something? Also, if I am getting no tach signal from the brown wire on the switch box, is it bad? or do I just have the wrong tach?

To run the tach off the switch-box you need a vintage Mercury tach specific. And I forgot to add that yes the brown wire should be attached to either of the terminals of the yellow wires from the stator.If it doesn't work on one of the yellow wires,move it to the other.

Attachments

• Photo0198.jpg
    Photo0198.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 11
  • TachHookup.jpg
    TachHookup.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Tach_2.jpg
    Tach_2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thanks. The tach that is in the boat does work if I hook it up to the rectifier. So are you saying I can run it that way and not damage anything else? I would think it should not cause any problems being the tach is merely counting AC pulses. I just want to be sure because the motor runs great and

Back