Logo

1992 Merc 50hp 3 cyl wiring FUN : /

2-IN-THE-BUSH

Hey guys. I'm new here and really appreciate any helpful comments. Pretty new to outboards, but a fairly seasoned (35 years) amateur auto, 2/4-stroke m/c, and inboard mechanic. That said, electrical has never been my strong suit. I've had this 93 Harris Flote Bote pontoon with a 1992 Merc 50hp 3 cyl 2-stroke (SN - 0D142570) for 3 years now. It is in remarkable shape for it's age and I am really impressed with the build and finish quality, so I don't mind spending a little money to maintain it. This year with all the (Michigan) spring rain setting me back with work, I didn't launch until July 3rd! Tested in a barrel prior to launch, to confirm everything was working, changed lower unit fluid and impeller. No issues - started and ran like a champ. Paid $60 to have it put in the water, and it started right up, as usual. Jumped in the lake to cool off and parked it at my dock. Came out 2 days later to go out and when I turned the key - nothing. I will forego confirmation of the really obvious stuff like battery and terminals, which of course, I always check 1st. Did some basic testing and determined the solenoid was bad (was able to jump it with a screwdriver). I was also able to shut it off with the key, so I believe my ground is good. Also, I hear a click when I push the key in to choke. Just no start with the key.

Replaced solenoid with a $38 OEM from the stealer and it started right up. I'm feelin all proud and thinking - problem solved. Came back out a couple days later to go out and when I turn the key - dead again. Only this time I find that my 20 amp fuse is blown. Replaced the fuse and again, was able to start by jumping the solenoid. Blew the fuse a couple more times in the following week.

Not to confuse 2 likely separate issues, I found that the fuse was blowing (I believe) due to the switch being bad in my remote control (had been broken and super glued by PO and was sticking). Came out one day and found the tilt motor stuck, running in the "up" position. I knew my cables were stretched, so I replaced the remote control with a new Quicksilver binnacle console mount and new Gen II cables (Mercury 8M0059686 - $400). I believe this solved the tilt-trim issue, as I do not seem to be blowing fuses any more and of course the new controls are very nice.

However, I still can't start the motor with the key. I am not getting power to the small red wire at terminal S (solenoid). To rule out potential issue with neutral safety, I jumped that wire at the key end of the harness to close the circuit. I went thru my 8 pin harness, spread out the male connectors, cleaned and applied dielectric grease and checked all connectors. Still nothing. Well, after a month of dinkin around with this, I threw down another $150 for a new wiring harness (Quicksilver 84-816626A20 - includes key switch). Installed and no difference. At this point I'm losing my mind and my money rapidly...

Did I get a bad (new) solenoid?

Hoping someone can put me on the right troubleshoot path, so I can feel like an idiot for one more day, then enjoy my boat for what's left of this summer.

Sorry this turned out so wordy...
Thanks.

Well, no replies, but I'll follow up in the hopes that someone else can benefit from this...

Problem solved. Found that the PO had run the hot wire from the circuit breaker (that connects to the solenoid) right next to the neg/ground terminal on the circuit breaker, and it had worn thru the covering and shorted out on the ground. Could not see it until it was removed, but after eliminating everything else, it only made sense to trace down every wire. Even though this has been tedious and frustrating, overall, it forced me to learn my motor top to bottom. Going forward, things will be easy. It's a great day! Goin fishin now. Later.

Back