Logo

Mercury 2 stroke 135Hp wont rev up beyond 2800 rpm under load

Dimitrios

Hello I am a new boat owner I have a rib boat about 16 feet in length and weight about 700kgrs. It has a 2-stroke Mercury 135hp (1991? built) which for the first year was running amazingly (high consumption but amazing power). Last yeat I started having some problems, it was hard to start and from time to time it would not rev up above 2800 rpm and when i finnaly i brought it to plane it max out at 3200rpm. This problem was intrmittent some times as i was going full throttle and stuck at 2800rpms it would unstuck and rev up normally. I thought i was a problem with the carbs and i had them cleaned and reinstalled. The problem seemed to be solved but this year after an 8 month period in the parking i took her out and the problem now is pemanent it idles fine and ren up to 6000 rpm in neutral but when in the water in gear wont rev up past 2800rpms. I have changed spark plugs recleaned the carbs problem still the same.
If you have any suggestions as to what to do next i would appriciate it. Thank you

Need to check with timing light when problem happens. If one of the high speed sides of stator is bad spark will drop out when the switchbox transitions from low to high speed,,,,,

Back