Logo

88 100HP I4, carb. cooling water

89 Arima

ob1.jpg
Hi,
New to this forum, I have a 100HP Mecury OB that I have not run for years. It was running terrible so I rebuilt the carbs and cleaned out the tank now its running really good. So being empowered with my carburetor success I decided to change out the water pump impeller as every good boat owner does. That went fine no problems. when I went to test the engine I put on the water supply muffs started the engine aand about 1 minute later the tell tail shot out water, everything appeared normal. then I noticed that water was also coming out a a small hole just above the cavitation plate from the internal cavity the the water pump is mounted. I have since replaced pump housing, back plate, impeller, shaft slinger seal, pick-up tube seal. I am not sure were the water is coming from or if its just normal.

see the photo, is water coming out of the hole above he cavitation plate normal or a issue?

Thanks Rick

Last edited:
Yes, it is normal. Usually when the thermostat opens the water will begin to come out of that hole. Trickle at first and then increase as the engine warms. If the water is coming out of the hole briskly as soon as you start it, the thermostat may be stuck open.

Thanks for your help. The cavity where the pump is was very clean with no signs of corrosion that is what led me down the path that water shouldn't be in that area. I do remember seeing a video of someone else doing a replacement and it looked very corroded, it all makes sense now thanks again. Now it is time for a sea trial. I took the lower unit off about 4 times tying to figure it out you saved e from doing it a 5th time.

Back