Logo

BF75 4 stroke losing oil

Jackson68

Try to find a reference or diagram to find PCV valve its suggested to start there.
I went through 3.5 qts of oil on about 2 hours of boating about 80 miles

Most PCV valves are located on/off the valve cover. Follow whatever hoses from the valve cover and should lead you to the pcv valve.

Honda outboards don't have a pcv valve. Your engine must be burning the oil, with consumption that high it must be smoking. How many hours has it done?

Thinking about it, I don't think a BF 75 could use the amount of oil past the rings, especially with dry sump lubrication. If you let it idle in dead calm water is there any sign of an oil slick on the water, it could have a leak under pressure into the cooling system?

Sounds like a pretty bad oil leak to me. If it was burning that much oil you would kill every mosquito in your state in no time!

Take the hood off and look!

Make sure the oil filter is screwed on nice and snug and that it doesn't have a hole in it. Same thing for oil drain plug. Make sure it's tight and not leaking.

Just within the last week, bought it a year ago no issue till recently,
First had to replace an impeller and noticed oil was way low.
Impeller works fine now plenty of piss but after a hour or so on the lake
Oil was down a few quarts.
I didn't have time to order Honda oil but I used 4 stroke marine sae 10w30

It's probably not your problem here as I do think you must have a leak someplace but make sure the oil you're using isn't some old stock left on a shelf at the marina or hardware store. Look for the API "donut" rating seal on the bottle and buy only SN lettered oil for maximum protection.

Back