Logo

adjust boat pull off center while traveling?

BIOS

Hi All, I have an old glastron starflite v179. It has a Volvo Penta 130c engine with a AQ270 outdrive. It's old 60's and 70's fiberlgass tri-hull style boat. I'm not totally restoring it, but have been fixing it up and getting everything functional again and I'm really close now.

It has a trim tab that doubles as an exhaust port on the back of the drive. It has been adjusted in the direction of pull to make the boat travel relatively straight....as long as I hold tight to the steering wheel it will only pull very slightly to starboard as I have it adjusted currently. However if I were to let go of the steering wheel it would start spinning wildly counter-clockwise resulting in an increasingly sharper turn to port resulting in the the boat spiraling into tighter and tighter counter-clockwise circles. Boat hull is very clean so it's not drag from rough glass or barnacles etc. and the last trip was just two people one in each front seat so it wasn't a loading/ weight distribution issue.

I have no idea what else might be causing this as I am fairly new to boating and boat mechanics. Hoping someone can shed light on the possible cause and correction of this behavior.

thanks!
Joshua

Thanks bondo. Did some reading about the no feedback helm. Didn't know that steering wheel pull in direction of rotation is a normal effect of prop torque on a non power steering boat.

Back