Logo

engine block cracked, sbc 350 swap???

I recently posted here and come to find out my mercruiser 260/v8's block has cracked. I have the opportunity to get a sbc 350 for cheap. Whats needed to do the swap?? Can I take all externals off my mercruiser and swap them onto the sbc?? Is it a direct interchangeable fit? Ive read about freeze plugs but do I need anything else for the swap or will my mercruiser have all the parts I need? Also what exactly will I need off of my mercruiser, do I need to take out any internals? I am just trying to get this done before summers over and not miss any steps in the process. As much detail as possible is appreciated! Thanks!

I recently posted here and come to find out my mercruiser 260/v8's block has cracked. I have the opportunity to get a sbc 350 for cheap. Whats needed to do the swap?? Can I take all externals off my mercruiser and swap them onto the sbc?? Is it a direct interchangeable fit? Ive read about freeze plugs but do I need anything else for the swap or will my mercruiser have all the parts I need? Also what exactly will I need off of my mercruiser, do I need to take out any internals? I am just trying to get this done before summers over and not miss any steps in the process. As much detail as possible is appreciated! Thanks!

Ayuh,..... It should be of the same Vintage,.....

Newer, or older can be an issue,.....

If it is a motor vehicle engine then the internals are all wrong esp the camshaft

Basically, the cylinder block and cylinder heads will work for what you are doing. Not ideal, but OK since most of these were fitted with the GM Full Dished pistons (of which are junk).

The camshaft profile will most likely be incorrect for Marine use.

Merc SBCs typically used the 168 tooth ring gear flywheel.

A crankshaft earlier than 1986 will have the large rear flange (2 pc rear main seal).
A crankshaft later then 1986 will have the smaller diameter rear flange (1 pc rear main seal).
Make sure that the rear crankshaft flange is the same.... or, pick up the correct 168 tooth flywheel that will mate up to the crankshaft flange.

Back