Logo

Trouble shooting 1988 Evinrude water pump issue

Dersu

This weekend my son started the motor twice at relatively high rpms with the lower unit out of the water. Each time the motor ran for no more than 2 seconds. An hour or so later I noticed that what used to be a steady stream of water out of the motor was a trickle. The water trickling out was not particularly hot. I can't say whether there is a connection between the dry starts and the trickled, since I did not notice when the trickle started. I don't know much about impellers, but there are no obvious flaws in the impeller. The blades are hooked, but they are not melted, broken, dry rotted, or crumbling. The only other noteworthy things that happened during this outing was that the prop got tangled in weeds and we churned up sand a few times.

I uploaded photos of the impeller, pump housing and the steel plate that the pump housing sits on. Where do I go from here? Is enough to just replace the impeller? Do I need a new plate or housing gasket? How tight does the sealed between the pump housing and steel plate need to be? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMPELLER CROPPED.jpg
    IMPELLER CROPPED.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 24
  • plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 18
  • housing.jpg
    housing.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
most likely yes just impeller, whats the HP of motor, also make sure clean tip of pee hole, if no help go back to small elbow on block

If you did not yet clean the water tell-tale fitting with a piece of single strand wire, also the plastic fitting on the engine, do so. also blow out the hose between the two. They do get clogged from time to time.

Back