Logo

Mercury 175hp Sportjet - loss of power

schnur07

I have a Sugar Sand Mirage with the 175hp sportjet. When cold it would run ok for 5-10 minutes then suddenly it felt like it lost about half its power. I took it to a mercury mechanic and he replaced the stator. I put it in the water and it still ran at half power. I took it back to him and he replaced one of the CDI units. He said he tested it in the shop and all six cylinders were firing. I launched it today and seemed to be idling well and then a sudden change in idle. I went to take off and same issue. Could it just be the other CDI went bad or is there something else the mechanic could be overlooking? I'm already into this about $900 on a boat that's barely worth that much. It runs smooth but lacking in power. Slow getting out of the hole and top speed is on 30mph instead of 50mph.

Thanks for any help

Most likely the wear ring where the drive impeller is wore out.

Thanks for the reply. Would a worn out wear ring cause the boat to go from full throttle to about half throttle instantly? What typically happens is when the boat is cold, it runs fine and then after a few minutes you will instantly feel the boat cut to about half the power.

Back