Logo

Dead Volvo Penta 5.0L

DouglasM

Hello -
Found out that my 2002 Striper with a 5.0L Volvo Penta threw a bearing and is now completely shot. I am looking for a replacement and I know I can go with a Mercruiser 5.0L. Curious if anyone has replaced their 5.0L Volvo Penta with a 5.7L Mercruiser. My biggest concern is the stern drive, I am pretty confident I have the Alpha 1.

Any input or your experience greatly appreciated.
Doug

Ayuh,..... Yer post doesn't make much sense,......

If ya got a Volvo motor, I'd think you've got a Volvo drive,......

Yet you claim it's a Mercruiser Alpha 1,......

Mercruiser, 'n Volvo don't mix,.....

I took the boat to Performance Marine in Everett, WA -- their mechanic recommended replacing the Volvo Penta with a Mercruiser. Said everything is very compatible.

OK, so I guess the first question can be can I replace the Volvo Penta with a Mercruiser or is the shop blowing smoke up my keister? I have read a couple of boards that claim that you can, would love to confirm that. And, if I can, can I go with the larger 5.7L vs the 5.0L that is in there now. Is there any compatibility issue with the stern drive to go the larger motor. The boat is still at the mechanics, so I am putting in the stern drive based upon what I can find. It has taken them 5 weeks and I still don't have a quote on repairs, so I am looking at a friend who said he can replace the motor over the weekend. But, I want to buy the right motor to replace it with and I'm going off of what the mechanic at Performance recommended.

Make sense?

Last edited:
The engines are not branded as Volvo or Mercruiser, they are GM small blocks like you had in your 1970 Chevrolet! The long blocks (block+cyl heads) are the same, its the accessories that are all different, ie carb, distributor, exhaust, alternator etc starter is usually exactly the same. Why not post up a pic of the outdrive on your boat then we'll know what you have for sure, lol! In any case you need a reman or new long block that matches with what you had (later model Vortec with 8 bolt intake). Sounds like you are trying to say, you have a Volvo powered boat with a dead engine and want to put a Merc engine in it, whereas you need a new or reman long block and then transfer all your Volvo stuff onto it (except what needs to be replaced). And you want to replace a 5.0 with a 5.7 which can be done, they re physically identical. The outdrive ratios are different though which may limit your top speed a bit but give more power coming up on plane.

A Volvo penta. Get a new long block
and transfer your accessories over. If it’s an efi engine replace with another 5.0 or else you might have to replace the ecm to keep it from running too lean. If it’s a carb engine you can more easily upgrade to a 5.7, might have to re jet the carb. Keep your heat exchanger. Salt water use? Think about replacing the manifolds and elbows.

Ayuh,...... Listen to Lou,..... You have a Volvo powered boat,......

Tryin' to drop in a Merc will be a pile of nightmare differences,....

Hello -
Found out that my 2002 Striper with a 5.0L Volvo Penta threw a bearing and is now completely shot. I am looking for a replacement and I know I can go with a Mercruiser 5.0L. Curious if anyone has replaced their 5.0L Volvo Penta with a 5.7L Mercruiser. My biggest concern is the stern drive, I am pretty confident I have the Alpha 1.
Doug, as mentioned, the Alpha drive is by Mercruiser.
According to your boat info, your year model 2000 stern drive is by Volvo Penta.

Alpha One is a Dog Clutch drive and requires the SI or SA system, whereas the Volvo Penta is a Cone Clutch drive and does not require the SI or SA.
(SI = shift interrupt.... SA = shift assist)

I took the boat to Performance Marine in Everett, WA -- their mechanic recommended replacing the Volvo Penta with a Mercruiser. Said everything is very compatible.
Although I hope that he makes a quick recovery...... I think that this mechanic has undergone a recent and severe blow to the head!

OK, so I guess the first question can be can I replace the Volvo Penta with a Mercruiser or is the shop blowing smoke up my keister?
I'll go with #2..... "blowing smoke up your keister!"

I have read a couple of boards that claim that you can, would love to confirm that. And, if I can, can I go with the larger 5.7L vs the 5.0L that is in there now. Is there any compatibility issue with the stern drive to go the larger engine?
Other than a bit of tweaking to a FI system (if equipped with FI), there should be no issues.

You will want to verify the 5.0L engine stern drive ratio (final drive reduction), and then verify that it will be suitable for the 5.7L engine.

The boat is still at the mechanics, so I am putting in the stern drive based upon what I can find. It has taken them 5 weeks and I still don't have a quote on repairs,
This is where I would normally say; "get a quote, not an estimate"...... but instead, I'm going to say; "Get the boat away from that repair shop ASAP!"

so I am looking at a friend who said he can replace the motor over the weekend.
Make sure that your friend has Marine work experience!
And yes..... it can be done over a weekend.

But, I want to buy the right ENGINE to replace it with and I'm going off of what the mechanic at Performance recommended.
Again, I will suggest that you get the boat away from that repair shop ASAP!

Make sense?
NO!

The engines are not branded as Volvo or Mercruiser, they are GM small blocks like you had in your 1970 Chevrolet! The long blocks (block+cyl heads) are the same,
Incorrect!
A year 2000 SBC will not be the same as a 1970 SBC.

By the way..... the picture shows a stern drive that is not of the typical Volvo Penta SX color. Looks to be more like the OMC Cobra color.
Can you post a few more close-up photos?

Last edited:
Replace ONLY the block, with a like series, and going up to 350/5.7 will be no problem.
Staying in the same series means everything will bolt up perfect.
Just be certain to use the numbers on the old block to positively identify what it is.
There is a ton of support info out there for these SBC's (Small block Chevy motors).
Volvo, Mercruiser, Crusader and a dozen more boat engine companies buy these
SBC motors from General Motors, but the accessories are ALL different.
This is also the cheapest engine to rebuild. There are millions of parts out there because
it is the most popular engine ever built. Once again, identify and match the block series.

Oh and Rick I was only kidding about the engine being the same as that in a 70 Chevy. Yes I realize we are talking about a Vortec V8. But still they are quite similar. Vortec heads and roller lifter camshaft designs are the main differences. The problem the OP is having is getting confusing and incorrect information from repair shops. He needs a new long block and probably should replace the manifolds and elbows at the same time among other things..

Back