Logo

Slave Solenoid

Anorman

We have a tinker festiva 212 with a MerCruiser 4.3tks. When we turn the key all dials turn on and light up, the engine clicks but doesn’t turn over. I have done a bit of research and some people have said it was to do with the slave solenoid. I also read you can use jumper cables on that solenoid to start the engine. So I went to the boat to test that but there isn’t a slave solenoid on our boat instead the wires go to a thing called zettler az973-1c-12dc4 which I looked up is a power trim tilt relay. So my question is, should I have a slave solenoid or is that zettler the right thing.

I believe what you are talking about is the starter solenoid. You might also have bad battery connections, especially if your battery uses those wing nut things. (If so, toss them out and use a hex nut.)

Jeff

It is very possible the 'newer' 4.3's use a power trim relay as the slave solenoid - less overhead.....a serial number may help.

You can assess the state of the starter by bypassing the slave solenoid - just jump the solenoid at the starter ….

Back