Logo

Trailer brakes dragging only when hooked up to truck....Please help

vlotta

My old breaking system would only operate under heavy breaking so I rebuilt it. Now they seem to over work. With the trailer unhooked and the tires jacked up each one spins freely when applying pressure to the surge break they all apply pressure and then release when pressure if removed from surge break (this would indicate to me all is working) My issue is when I hook up my boat and trailer it to the bay (about 20 miles) my trailer breaks are smoking hot. Any suggestions on where to start to resolve this would be great. Also my trailer when hooked up to my truck is very close to being level, and my hubs are not over tighten. Thank you,

Breaking system is UFP now part of Dexter dual axle disk breaks.

Sounds like you have a constant power to your brakes when plugged into towing vehicle. Have you tried reversing the wires on the trailer brakes. Just a thought

Thank you for helping out but these are surge brakes, no power to the breaking system unless I'm in reverse and then it is only to activate the reverse solenoid

The fix for this was to elevate the hitch so that the boat would need more forward force to activate the surge brakes. I was informed this is common with people pulling boats that are level with diesel engines to much back pressure (acts like i'm braking) when off the gas causes the boat to push forward and apply the surge brakes slightly, just enough to heat the breaks up by not to slow the truck down this is why i didn't notice them dragging only indication was the heat when I got to the ramp.

Sounds like you have a constant power to your brakes when plugged into towing vehicle. Have you tried reversing the wires on the trailer brakes. Just a thought

Thank you for helping out but these are surge brakes, no power to the breaking system unless I'm in reverse and then it is only to activate the reverse solenoid

The fix for this was to elevate the hitch so that the boat would need more forward force to activate the surge brakes. I was informed this is common with people pulling boats that are level with diesel engines to much back pressure (acts like i'm braking) when off the gas causes the boat to push forward and apply the surge brakes slightly, just enough to heat the breaks up by not to slow the truck down this is why i didn't notice them dragging only indication was the heat when I got to the ramp.

Thank you for posting. I have learned something new.

Back