Logo

Engine alignment tool question

vlotta

When aligning your engine should the alignment tool go all the way into the coupler? My tool only goes in the first two inches due to the size of the second stage of the tool. I could not locate a Volvo penta tool so I purchased a aftermarket brand. Is the first 2 inches all that is suppose to go into the coupler? image_29365.png

5.7 GI-E
DP-SM 1.95
TSX SX-M

Last edited:
yes, if the tool bottoms out, it is ok, just make sure it is easy to turn and goes in as instructed . thumb and pointer finger easy

Here is the goal when using the alignment tool and while adjusting the front engine mounts:

Drive Coupler alignment explained 4.jpg

As mentioned, the tool should slide in and out of the female splines easily.
You should see even and consistent 360* tell-tale grease marks around the portion that enters the splined area of the coupler.

Drive Coupler alignment explained 5.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the help, can you give me your opinion on another situation. I was wondering if I installed the bearing to far. I installed it until it bottomed out but now it is hard to spin by hand because it is pushed up against the seal. Seal was also installed until it bottomed out. My concern is that the two O rings on the propeller shaft won't have enough pressure to spin the bearing and will burn up the O rings. My bearing was not flat on the back side as some people have mentioned theirs are. Should I back the bearing out a little bit to ease the pressure?

I am not following you re; the gimbal bearing fit.

The O-rings are there simply to prevent water from getting past the interference fit between the ID of the bearing and the OD of the shaft.
And if you have water in this area, you have more severe issues anyway.

I used a Gimbal bearing installer. IMG_20190815_143421.jpg

The seal is seated all the way in and then the bearing is seated all the way in but being that my bearing doesn't have a flat side (others have said the gimbal bearing has on flat side and that side faces the engine)IMG_20190815_143601.jpg

the center part of the bearing the part the drive shaft goes through ( aka the part of the bearing that spins) hits the rubber of the seal which puts pressure on it so it doesn't spin freely like it does before installing it.IMG_20190815_143633.jpg

I am worried that this pressure will cause the shaft to spin inside the bearing which would cause friction on the Orings being that the bearing itself isn't spinning.

hope this clears it up. What i did to remedy this situation is backed the bearing out about 1/16 of an inch just to release the pressure. I just would like to know why I was having the issue in the first place so I will know next time.

Back