Logo

Power tilt problem 2003 225 hp

sea bee

power tilt stopped suddenly on the port outboard as it was being raised, also no response at port ignition switch.
Starboard outboard and ignition switch ok
was already to replace #3 10a fuse, but it wasn't blown. Using an ohm meter, all 6 fuses plus the 150 amp fuse
checked okay
using a volt meter, there was no voltage at the #3 fuse contacts (fuse out). I grounded the meter at the battery.
Ran a direct, 10a fused line from the positive battery post to the #3 fuse contacts, again the fuse was out. Did not run
a negative wire this time, let the harness do that job.
using the switch on the cowl, the trim then worked both up and down.

Checked both battery switches with a volt meter and they worked as they should.
Checked the voltage at the starter and it was 12.9 volts
are there additional fuses that would have an effect on the power tilt operation??? Suggestions??

Last edited:
Found a great wiring diagram in the Honda manual, pg30. Tomorrow I'm going to jury rig a wire with an in line fuse from the battery's positive post to the female receptacles that would normally receive the #3 10A fuse. When I did this earlier I never checked the ignition switch to see if the buzzer, alarm light, etc worked. If they do and I think they will, my problem is the positive wire from the battery to the fuse block. That will make my search much easier, however, I would still like to receive anyone's input

Everything worked fine when the hot wire replaced the #3 fuse. Put the engine in the down position in order to make it easier to work on the outboard and through dumb luck discovered that normal power had been restored to the #3 location. Put standard fuse back in and raised the engine and it stopped halfway up with same problem, no voltage at #3. Hot wired it again and lower outboard which restored the power. Jiggled the mass of wires going into the outboard from the battery which would change position as the outboard was tilted and power would cut in and out. I was too hot to continue working so I button up the job and will start again tomorrow. I know the colors of the power tilt and saw them coming out of the harness. This will be my last post on this problem.

Back