Logo

Odd noise when bf225 is shifted into gear.

Mheltun

Regular Contributor
Hello everyone. I have a question. When I shift into both forward or reverse at the lowest rpms (640) the engine makes some odd noise. In a way it sounds like it’s not fully in gear and I can even feel some vibration at the helm. By increasing my rpms to 700+ the noise completely disappears. No noise or vibrations are present thru the rest of the rpm range. I change my lower unit gear line regularly and the line drains clean with no contamination or shavings present. Is this “normal” or should I dig deeper?

thanks!

Agree with Ian. Also, make sure that the two washers (thrust washer and prop washer) on each side of the prop are installed correctly and are true on a straight edge. The proper orientation is shown in the Owners Manual - Page 77 in mine. Essentially, the smaller end on both washers points to the front of the prop shaft.

Thanks guys ! I will take a look. I did some reading on prop rattle and that sounds like what I’m hearing.
Check your shift shaft. Its splined on top and on bottom. it should be snugged up against the washer going into the motor. If not then the top spline isn't fully engaged. That spline on the shift shaft at the motor is pretty short. Theres a ring on it that the shift shaft pushes up into to lock it in. I just found that out on mine. I lifted the shift shaft and snapped it in but found the ring to not hold it. I had to shift it in reverse little to take the noise out. Now with it staying up on the upper shift shaft the noise is gone.

Back