Logo

XDP drive questions (potential owner)

Rx7thHeaven

Hey guys,

I apologize if I am beating a dead horse here, but I did use the search function and didn’t find anything on XDP’s. I am looking at a 2005 Four Winns 348 with 5.7L VP power and XDP drives. Approx 250hrs on the drives/engines. I have read the horror stories on some of the boat manufactures forums (as well as some trouble free ownership stories). I know the internet’s tendency to blow things out of proportion so I am looking for a little more insight. So my 2 questions are:

1: what preventative items should be done to help ensure there are no major issues? I know the bellows need to be updated and changed out regularly, but how often should I change them? What other items should be done? And if I follow these recommendations, am I fairly safe or still in for a future of problems?

2: what options are available if the drives need to be changed out? I know VP offers the discounted update program but even that is still very expensive. Are there other options out there? Say maybe older model DP drives that could be purchased used and installed? What type of mods would be needed? Engine removal and transom plate changeout?

I would be able to do most any work on the boat myself, short of pulling the engines, due to not having the facility to lift them out. And the boat comes with a trailer so I could load it up and bring it to my garage to handle most maintenance and repair items, but I still do not want something I need to work on more than use.

thank you in advance for any input.

Back